• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Reproductive infection in older doe - What to do?

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Hi All

My oldest doe has a smelly yellow discharge from her vagina. She is approx. 8 or 9 years old, and is unspayed.

She is on 0.5ml baytril twice a day since Monday.

My vet says it could possibly develop into pyometra.

I'm unsure what to do. Do I try to clear the infection with antibiotics and hope that the infection doesn't get worse?, or do I opt for an emergency spay and pray that she pulls through despite her advanced age?

I *think* my vet wants to treat her with antibiotics until she is so unwell she has to be PTS. I have an appointment on Monday, so will discuss it with him then.

I fear that I'm condemning her to a slow death if I DON'T spay, and possibly hastening her death if I DO spay.

Does anybody have any advice, experience, opinions that might help me make a decision? Please!

Amy

I had a 10 year old spayed when she developed a pyo' so I'd say have her spayed. Although there is a risk with the GA AND she may have a metastisised adenocarcinoma too I believe it better to have surgery rather than, as you say, having a protracted illness.

Your Vet could provide additional supportive care and have your Bun on IV fluids for 24 hours after surgery, keep her on a heat pad etc.

Best wishes for her, whatever you decide to do

Janex

I do not have personal experience, but I have heard that uterine infections can quickly become serious and are hard to treat. Did your vet do a culture to determine the species of bacteria and the correct antibiotic? The only case I've heard of recently was treated with injected penicillin and cleared up quickly, but it was caused by a dead fetus which was removed and a spay was scheduled for later.

Personally, I think I'd have a blood panel done, and have her spayed depending on those results.

On of my buns Iris had a spay last year after she developed a Pyometra, she was 7 at the time. It took her about 2 months to recover but she is back on top form now and you wouldn't htink she is the age she is. XX

Jane & Phil, its good to know that your buns have pulled through an emergency spay.

My vet hasn't cultured the discharge to find out what bacteria it is yet. I think he's opted for the 'if in doubt prescribe Baytril route' :roll:

Am I correct in presuming it's probably pasteurella?

naturestee, I was wondering about getting bloods done, but we've never managed to get a decent set of bloods from her before. She's had bloods done at various points over the past 3 years that I've had her (to find out if she was healthy enough for an elective spay). And if the results were to be believed, she'd be dead long ago!

She had an abdomenal x-ray taken nearly a year ago, which showed no changes in the womb. Would an ultrasound be better?

She's my favourite rabbit (shh, don't tell the others!) and I will do anything at all for her. She's getting a new companion this weekend too, so I hope she remains well enough to appreciate it. :cry:

Amy

Hi Amy

when Iris became ill she has an ultrasound which showed a very large watery mass n her abdomen, it was a pyometra and it was she either had the spay or died so we opted for at least giving her the chance and she came through brilliantly! I would definatly recomed having a scan done, there very quik, Iris had her scan in the moring and was spayed an hour later. My vet even took a picture of Iris infected uterus for me, it was awful! I posted the pic on here but it's gone now, i wouldn't wish having that inside my worst enimy, definatly get the scan done, she can have that done with justa little sedative. X

It's not necessarily pasteurella. There are many other species of bacteria that commonly cause infections in rabbits. The problem with Baytril in a case like this is that it's not very effective, especially if given orally. Injected antibiotics are usually much more effective because they don't have to go through the whole body to reach the infection.

The ultrasound sounds like a really good idea. It depends on the vet, but my vet is usually able to do scans like that without sedatives and without overly scaring the rabbit.

In hamsters womb infections rarely ever clear up with antibiotics, not sure if its the same in rabbits, but I do know they are hard to treat in buns. I personally would get her spayed before she becomes any weaker from the toxins that will build up in her system from the infection.

Good luck, hope your bunny is okay!

Back