• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch and attached run or shed..shed links please?

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
I've learnt so much about caring for bunnies that Jenny's set up has improved loads since I first got my first rabbit Vincent, but I'm still not quite happy with it :lol: I can't decide how to change it for the better though :(

At the moment she has a Lavender Lodge hutch from P@H with a separate home built 5ft x 7ft x 3ft run (it was originally bigger but lower, then we realised that Jen could easily clear 2ft so we changed the design to make it taller and with a roof! :lol: ).

The problem I have is that we have a really weird shaped garden and there is no where obvious to put an attached run and hutch combo :(

It's a big garden, but like most in Sheffield it's very steep and the previous owners put in five tiers to break it up a bit. Steps come out of the back door and onto a decking area. Steps then go down again to a paved garden with a large pond, which goes down again through an arch to a vegetable plot, greenhouse and shed. A fence with a gate runs just infront of the shed and when you go through this there is another area about 8ft by 16ft. There is very little unoccupied space really, other than behind the shed.

Just before we lost Harley, I attached the run to the hutch and moved the whole thing on to the paved area near the pond. This was great but when we lost Harley I decided to detach the hutch and bring it back up on to decking area so that it faced the house and so I could see Jen (and she could see me).

OH is not keen on having the hutch and run combo permanently on the paved area anyway, as that is where the tables and chairs go in the summer :(

Originally then, the plan was to use the big 8ft x 16ft space behind the shed to get a big bunny shed and run. However, the more I look at it the more I realise that it really is right down at the bottom of the garden. With all the tiers and things in the way, I've never be able to see them from the house :( I feel weird about that.

An alternative is to use part of the decking area, but I'm worried that Jen will nibble at the decking when she's in her run (it's treated and stained wood) and also, being grooved it'll be a utter pain to keep clean.

Finally I could just continue as I am and keep the run and hutch separate and just fold the run away when it's not in use, but it seems a bit pants compared to all of the fab combos I see on here :( Plus, I have this idea that some rescues wouldn't rehome to someone who doesn't have an attached run (is that right?)

Argh - why is everything so complicated??? :( :?

I have a similar problem, in that our garden is tiny! I have a single hutch over a fairly large run on the patio. Only problem is keeping it clean!
Could you post a pic of your garden so we can suggest something for you?

I have a similar problem. Got a small garden with no room for a bunny shed, and neither do I have a patio. I have a pathway from the back door down past the kitchen/bathroom where I have my set up. The path is about 4ft wide and the run is 3ft wide (means walking down a 1ft wide bit of path to get to the garden area but I dont mind).

As it is a narrow I have joined two normal hutches together side by side so they have a long/thin hutch with run attached.

Would love all those big set ups I have seen, but just no space :cry:

I have just put Flo's and Chance's new Hutch up, and Im wondering where the rest are going to go..oops!

I have a smallish run attached to my hutch, but the main big run is a collapsable one which I move around ever day so they have fresh grass. I can't see the problem of having a detached run..apart from the convenience aspect of course!

I've just rushed this in PowerPoint so it's a bit pants, it gives you a rough idea of my garden layout. I'll get some actual photos tonight.

Garden.jpg

It's not to scale! :lol: The sections are separated by fencing and each tier is lower than that previous.

When I had Jen's hutch and run attached, I had her hutch on the right hand side of the run. However, this is where we usually have the table and chairs so it can't really stay there permanently.

See how far away the bunny shed would be from the house? :(

Does anyone know what rescues generally state for an acceptable run size, and do they stipulate that runs must be attached?

I think a bunny shed would be great. I dont think everyone can see their hutches and sheds from their house. Seems a big waste of space up there without one :wink:

Having recently 'upgraded' to a shed / run combo, I'd say go for that if you have the space. We've spent much more time with the buns during the dark nights & wet weather than we would have otherwise. Failing that your other option is to set up your table & chairs on the decking if there's room and use the paved area for hutch & run. We've got Lillie's hutch (till she's bonded with Trooper) on our decking and it's not ideal. The grooves hold lots of water when its rained (although its fun to watch Trooper shake his wet paws after running across it :lol: )

Its a shame Groundforce have hung up their tools for good. I don't remember Alan & the gang doing a rabbit haven on a slope :p - may be they'd have been up for the challenge :lol:

Mike

i definitely prefer my shed to when i had hutches it is so much easier to clean, the buns cant see foxes at night, and I prefer a square space for buns than a narrower long space for my buns now that I have tried both.

My shed is at the top of my garden and it doesnt cause a problem i have a temp slabbed path leading up to my shed :D

I say go for the shed :D :D :D

Thanks everyone. Looks like the shed is the popular vote!

I got some piccies tonight. It was dark by 5pm ( :shock: ) so they aren't great, but gives you an idea.

This is tier one, with the decking. Jen's hutch is currently on here facing the house.

Looking across from the steps by the back door:

DSCF0161-1.jpg

Looking across the decking:
DSCF0160-1.jpg

Looking down the garden from the back door:
DSCF0159.jpg

This is the second bit, with the pond and Jen's run (although the run probably can't stay here :( ) Notice the captive trying to have a nosey at what is going on ;)

You can just about see the greenhouse behind.

DSCF0163.jpg

By the greenhouse is a fence and a gate to the shed, which you can just make out here.

DSCF0166.jpg

If I went for a bunny shed, it would go behind that existing shed (need the builders in first!). See what I mean when I say that they would feel very far away? :? The previous tenants had a kennel back here, hence the beware of the dogs sign on the gate!

My bunnies are quite far away from me and down quite a few steps in my garden.

Actually they're not that far away from me overall but I can't see the run from my windows as its in the lower level of the garden (stupid house built on a slope so garden is levelled in 2 parts).

I probably visit them more when I can't see them and its good exercise for me!!

Fiona x

The shed would probably offer them the most floor space too :D Cool - looks like I'm back looking for sheds again :lol: We do need to get some builders in first though to clear the back (the garden was quite overgrown when we moved in and I used back there as a bit of a dumping ground :oops: ). The retaining wall also needs building up - it's a ten foot drop into the garden behind us! :shock:

Hate to throw a spanner into the works, but...have you considered bringing the buns inside! I found that I wasn't spending enough time with mine when they were outside, especially in the freezing weather!! It's great now I've got mine inside!

Otherwise, I'd vote for the shed too!!

I would love to bring Jen inside, but OH isn't keen on the idea :( We did have a trial run when Jen was recovering from her spay but she didn't really help matters by trying to eat the new skirting board :( :oops:

I've just been chatting to the OH about the shed... does anyone have a link for a company that sells a walk in kennel type set up please?

I'm trying to explain to him what I mean and I'm failing miserably :lol:

Just got my kennel run for buns and they put a bunny door in. Only came today so no pics of it but here is the link. Mines the Hilton 10 x 6 . Fab company and great ! Ill do piccies tomoz. Stable door and by the side of that a slip up bunny door too.

http://www.stusanimalhousing.co.uk/

Back