• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Miss Fussy! help needed!

Flo

Alpha Buck
Hiya, bit of a query..

some of you may know that I had a litter dumped on me last year, and I kept two Jasper and Holly. Jasper now has a wife, but Holly has stayed in the conservatory (Everyone else is in a heated garage!)
The problem is, she eats her veggies, without a second thought..but her hay and pellets go untouched. I did go through a phase of trying her on this and that, but then I thought about it and realised that I wouldnt do this with the dogs! I then ordered the pellets off Bunny Basics. Everyone else loves them, especially Flo! But Holly wont touch them. Give her fruit, veg, etc and its gone. I have had her checked by the vet, and her teeth are fine, and she is in very good health.

Should I be a mean bunny mum, and limit her to pellets and hay until she is eating everything? Or does she need a husbun?

Flo said:
Or does she need a husbun?

:thumb: ......nothing like a bit of competition in the food department!! :wink:

If Holly eats no hay then she really is at risk of dental problems, even if she does not have them at the moment. With Rabbits they cant be left with food they dont like til they eat it cos they wont eat it and in the meantime their guts will stop working. I would try to find some different hays and dried grasses for her. Also fresh grass. I would restrict any fruit to a once a week treat (just a small piece of apple or pear for example)
Try not to feed too much sweet Veg either (eg carrots, corn) Dark leafy greens, celery, and fresh herbs like Basil are OK to feed more regularly.
Much more important for her longterm Dental Health is getting her to eat hay/grass

Janex

I have timothy hay from bunny basics, the 1st cut one!

She does have a nibble every now and then, but other than that she doesnt bother. Its really odd, because her brother eats hay before anything else, and goes through an amazing amount every week!

I do worry about her teeth, I tend to stick to greens rather than anything sweet (Im lucky in that the farm shop in the village saves the broccoli stalks, cabbage leaves etc)
I will deffo order some different grasses for her and see if they work.

Big problem is she has such a cute face, and her cage is right next to the fridge...so every time I go in there she thinks that she is having something yummy (mainly because when she was small she didnt eat much at all, and the only thing she would eat was parsley!)

Hi! I've been posting the last couple of days about my Poppy not eating hay. I bought some Excel Herbage today and she has wolfed down two bowls full! I don't know if it would tempt your bun, but it's certainly worked with Poppy. I'm really pleased as it's 24% fibre. May be worth a go! Claire x

I went and got some dried grass from pet shop, and the look she just gave me! :roll: When she was a baby she ate hay and pellets no problems.
I think that I am going to reduce her pellets, offer lots of hay/dried grass mix, plus fruit trees branches.

Back