• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cutting Claws

norrielian

Mama Doe
Hi
How many of you cut your rabbits claws yourself! I've never had the need to cut my rabbits claws before we moved house as they had the run of the rabbit proof garden when we were which was mainly patio so it seemed to keep them down naturally. But now we've moved and they are not on concrete and now have rubber matting in their run, their claws are growing very fast.

The vets are expensive for this so I would like to try myself but am not very confident. Dillon's are ok but Pippa's nails are black and I'm a bit worried it?

Thanks
Lian

from what i have read on here (only joined yesterday!) you can get the vet to show you how to do it. So if your off there anytime soon it could be a good starting point. Im sure you could buy clippers from them as well :)

I bought my clippers ages ago from P@H for about £5. Vet showed me how to do it the first time - but i do it myself now.

I put bun on it's back & nestle head into elbow/armpit to keep still, then trim away. Black claws are hardest cos you can't see the vein, but white ones, you can see the vein through the middle, so cut just the top bit off. (wound powder ready in case you get the vein, cos they BLEED!)

I wrap a struggler in a towel. & I do a biting bun by clipping a claw an evening through the bars of the cage at feed time :oops: :lol:

It is scary at first, so pick a bun that you know will be easy. I started doing my buns when I was about 10 so have been doing it for years! (not gonna put how many tho :lol: ) If they have black or dark claws, i usually just take the point off and do them regularly, if they have clear claws its easier because you can see the quick - the vein. If i have a struggler, I put them on the ground and kneel over them, this way they are still on terra firma which they prefer and I can access all four feet. Don't forget the dew claws on the front feet, I find these the hardest but also the most important to do as they grow faster as they don't touch the ground at all so have nothing to wear down against. You can buy clippers from lots of places, your vet should be able to order some for you and bear in mind they do wear down, so will need replacing in a few years, although that does depend on how many buns you have!! Good luck! x Jess

Thanks everyone, great tips. Have called the vets and am taking them both in on Monday so that she can show me. They are also adding a pair of clippers to their order for me.

I'm ok with Dillon but Pippa's black claws will be scarey so like suggested, will do these little and often!

Asta has black claws, but you can see the quick from the side of the claw. Can't see it from the top, but from the side it is visible.

I have just done her claws for the first time (went to the vet last time) and i think I did them as well as the vet did bu without the stress of going to the vet!

i have cut my buns claws a couple of times but if i know they will be going to the vet soon (vaccs etc) i will get the vet to go it :D teegra has really dark brown claws and i shine an LED keyring torch through them to see the quick :D

i think someown on here bought some clippers with an attached torch :? :?:

I'm a wuss :oops: My 2 need doing, but they are due for vaccs soon, so will get the vet to do it!!

Re: nail clipping

bunniesbarnbabe said:
HI, it is quite easy to do, i do all 12 of my rabbits. check my website www.bunniesbarn.co.uk, there is a page there showing you how to cut nails and how to hold the rabbit when doing so. good luck!

I can't access the site - is it down at the mo? This sounds v useful, and would really like to see your instructions!
Thanks x

Back