• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Floor thumping, what does it mean?

Leigh

Mama Doe
So our rescue bunnies are settling in nicely and weve added a litter tray to make cleaning up easier (how long does training take - roughly?)

Anyway the male is very independent and quite assertive, if he doesnt want you to touch him then he will move away or turn his back on you. Ocassionally (like last night when he ran back in the hutch and we closed the door) he thumped his hind legs on the floor and ran upstairs. What does this mean? is he just being assertive? or is it a sign that he wasnt happy with me closing the doors, or something else totally different! Hes done it about 3 times in as many days :)

Scared the daylights out of me as i wasnt ready for it! :lol:

Its a warning signal, to other bunnies that there may be a thrat or danger about. You should interpret it as him telling you to back off, especially if you are in his space.

My rabbit Biscuit thumps terribly if I see to any of the other Buns before him or give them ANY attention before him! He is so affectionate and not aggressive in anyway but just likes you to know that he should come first!! :evil: even my neighbours hear him getting in a strop when certainly there is no danger about-only the danger of him getting sore feet!!

My bunnies thump when they sense danger and also Molly sometimes tries to trick Piper into thinking there is danger about by thumping so that she can pinch his food while he is distracted! :lol:

Honey has been thumping at me the past couple of days when I have been taking them their veg. Maybe she is telling me she doesn't want any more greens!!!! :lol: Or she has PMT like her Mum!!!! Grumpy old bat!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My bunnies never thump ever... they throw things all the time though to try and wake you up and get your attention. I wonder what thumping looks like,... my bunnies do flops all the time.... its brilliant i love it makes me laugh so much. Mine have only done it since being neutered though, i think it stems from when they couldnt kick their legs out during healing so they throw themselves to the side and them sit up. I think they also do it when they are happy though.

Pippa used to thump a lot when I got her but now she's spayed and settled she thumps loads less, unless she's not happy about something

Bertie thumps if I'm telling the children or hubby off.. I then feel awful but I've stressed him :( .. Last night myself and hubby were talking to each other but in different rooms so we were talkin rather loud :oops: he was really thumping and wasn't happy with us..

Furby thumps a little aswell usually If I pick her husbun up or I pick her up. Fudge has never thumped though.

Anna thumpss quite a lot, i think she is just highly strung. Ivor has never thumped, i hope it means that he feels really safe with us. :D

The other day, my Floppy ran into something and knocked his head. I was really worried about him and wanted to check him over but he tried to resist me holding him so i was quite firm with him because he was scratching me and his eyes widenened like he was stressesd. When iu let him go, he did an almighty thump and ran off. He was telling me he did not like being handled this way!!

Back