• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What shed set ups are best?

Fairy13

Wise Old Thumper
Hi, I'm v v v excited at the mo cos my OH has just had a bonus from work so he's funding a shed for our outside buns :D

I was thinking of a shed with some sort of cat flappy thing put in for access to an aviary run typ thing next to the shed.

Would this be ok?

Would people with shed set ups already give me some advice on what works for them and anything they'd have done differently etc?

Also I was wondering wether overlap or tongue and groove sheds were any different weather proof wise etc.

Any pics would be lovely too ( I have looked at the sticky on bun accomodation but would like to hear more pros and cons etc first hand)

I'm so excited, please help me out so I don't spend a load of money on the wrong thing!! Thank you!

Hi there. That's exciting :) Here is my new bunny shed that I posted about recently.

Havne't done anything special for the bunnies inside yet apart from add a light and some shelving for all their goodies.

I got the chap who built it to add windows (two of which open for ventilation) to keep it as light as possible. I also asked for the little bunny door which can padlock shut. I hope to add a run soon to this so that the little door leads out to the run.

It is 7ft by 5ft.

Bunnies003.jpg

Bunnies002.jpg

That is so lovely! Looks like it was v expensive though! I was looking at a 7 by 5 I'd like it to be a pent roof like yours as well though rather than apex. And I just lurve the little bunny door. :D :D ohhhhhh cant wait cant wait!!! keep them coming please please!

oh and does anyone have any with like stable doors in two sections? Good idea, bad idea?!

Price wasn't TOOO bad...just over £300 but I'm happy with it. The little door is popular with Archie. I quite fancied the stable door idea too, but forgot about that!. Would be good to see photos of that.

Fiona x

We have a poppy shed and my husband built a run/aviary/enclosure around it..
I have 2 bunnies in there and they have access to the enclosure 24/7
My hubby also put a roof over the enclosure so even in heavy rain they can still sit or play without getting wet.
I'll try and find a pic for you.

Strange that you should ask this, as I cleared some space in our shed earlier today and was going to ask the same thing...although along the line of "is this enough space?"

Our shed is 8x6, and this is what I have so far:

IMG_8476.jpg

IMG_8479.jpg

IMG_8484.jpg

I was originally going to just section off the back third, put a cat flap in and attach their run to the outside. Now, the space in the shed is going to include the area under the table (where I will do my gardening stuff) as well as the space at the back of the shed. I measured the back third of the shed, which will be 5ft 11.5 x 2ft 8.5, plus the space under the table (not measured yet), as well as different levels for them to hop up to to increase the floor space. Does this seem reasonable? I am worried that after being indoors and having the run of the dining room/kitchen that it won't be big enough. The attached run is 6x3 or 4...can't remember :roll:

Hi, we also have a 5x7' shed, we have attached an extra door to the inside which allows the bunnies to see out during the day. At night we shut them in using the outer door. There is an opening window and solar lighting, although it doesn't work all that well during the winter.

P1010007.jpg

P1010011.jpg

P1010010.jpg

P1010012.jpg

IMAG0935.jpg

It cost about £120 to finish :D .. I've still go things to finish off like the shed needs a coat of paint but that can wait until the nicer weather.

hehehehe :D Is that Biscuit or Twix running across the shed in the 2nd pic?! he looks so funny, "look mum, its way big in here!" so cute!

I love that 2nd door idea thats great! How did you do it? Is the white panel hardboard or something? Then a wooden frame and mesh?

And what did the £120 include karen354? I love the run but i think will have to go for a shed rather than playhouse as my OH is 6ft2 and I want hime to be able to get in and scuffle about with them easy enough!

Thanks for all the piccies, I'm getting some great ideas. We have a run of concrete patio running down the long side of our garden but its only just over 5ft wide so thats why I though I'd aim for a 5by 7 pent like fiona's with a run attatched to the side.

You're all wonderful! Thanks for sharing! :D

£120 shed not included.. That was just for the wood,mesh and roof....
It can be a pain when cleaning out because theres not enough room to stand up in the shed :(

Hi, I have a 6 by 8 shed and the run is the same size. Inside it was split in 2 but I took the divider out recently after having my boy pigs done, so now they all live together (the divider stopped the boy and girl pigs getting together, the buns just jumped over it :lol: )
DSCN0480.jpg

this is it from outside, there are 2 holes at the bottom which lead to the runs, the middle window i replaced the perspex with overlapping wood so it can be propped open, and the runs are my height so i dont have to crouch when cleaning out!
DSCN1000-1.jpg

Inside they have my 2 old plastic dog beds turned upside down, they make great hideys, cardboard boxes, wooden boxes, hay racks, water bottles, random logs, all sorts to keep them busy!
Have fun planning it, I am always changing mine and adding bits! Have lots of wood i acquired that I am planning to use to make platforms and things so they have like 4 shelves to work their way up! love it!
x Jess

Fairy13 said:
I love that 2nd door idea thats great! How did you do it? Is the white panel hardboard or something? Then a wooden frame and mesh?

Hiya, it is canvas. O/h had 3 unwanted canvases on frames, he took the canvas off the bottom frame and put mesh on instead. Then nailed them all together with a larger wooden frame! helen

Wow Jess thats sooo cool!!!!
Lucky pigs and buns!!
How do people find their sheds are in summer? Do they get really hot?
I'm getting some great ideas!

ah canvas, thats ingenious! Wow it would have taken me months of umming and ahhing to come up with some of this stuff! :D

I would say have at least one opening window. Attach mesh on the inside with a slit just allowing you enough space to get to the 'arm' to open it. Try to site the shed somewhere so that it doesn't get the full sun, they can get very warm in the summer.

Stage7b.jpg

Rabs

Fairy13 said:
sorry 3rd pic :oops:

It's Biscuit! He loves the shed, even before I tidied it up! I am sure he will love living in there with some hidy holes and different levels to go on. I keep forgetting that lionheads are classed as small rabbits so there should be ample space for them both.

Back