• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to Bunnys - some advice please

Melanie

Young Bun
Hi everyone

I want to get a bonded pair of rescue bunnies. I have thought long and hard about it and managed to convince my partner ... but we are both new to the whole thing and need advice about a few things.

1 Are there any local rescues to Solihull?

2 I would like them to be house buns as we have an L shaped utility that is easily big enough for a cage and the passage to the garage just looks like an indoor bunny run for when we're not in (well it does to me!)

3 Is it fair to keep the buns indoors all the time or should they be let out? The garden is big enough for a bunny run but there are lots of cats and foxes around as we back on to a wood and I am worried that they could get scared ... or worse!

4 I don't want to buy a cage, as we don't know what size buns we will get and I want them to have plenty of room... so I am thinking of the NIC cube type thing .... so it's flexible, what do you think?

5 What equipment other than food, bedding, toys and litter tray stuff, should I get in ready for bun ... medical stuff etc and where from?

6 Should I get the buns insured .... if yes by who?

7 Does anyone know of any good bun vets in Solihull?

Sorry if this is a huge post ... but I would hate to have forgotten something vital ..... I am more bothered about being organised for this than I was when I had my son!!! I need to get a grip!!! :oops: :lol:

Many thanks for any help

Melanie

hey and welcome!

Have a look on www.rabbitrehome.org.uk for any buns in your area, if there isn't, I am sure we could organise a bunny run between to get some to you. :)

Buns can be indoors all the time, ie when people have flats/apartments, however you can let them out in the summer, however as foxes are so cunning, you would HAVE to supervise them constantly and have them in a secure, roofed run, as they can easily scare a bun to deatth or run off with them in the middle of the day as its just an easy meal to them.

The cubes work well, as do large dog crates which can be bought cheaply on ebay and www.petplanet.co.uk , its your choice. :wink:

As for medical stuff, anticeptic wipes, plastic gloves, tweezers, syringes, infacol and nail scissors are the only things I keep on hand. Oh and a vet emergency number as buns have a habit of getting sick on Saturday nights or Sunday afternoons...at least mine do anyway! :roll:

My buns aren't insured, so somene else will hae to help you there, good luck and kudos for rescuing! :)

Hi, Im from Solihull too and so is my friend Chloe who fosters for rescues. :D House buns shouldnt be a problem if you can rabbit proof their area and the space you have sounds good. Most rescues require a home check but Im sure for what you say it will be fine and please dont worry :D

Some housebuns dont like to be outside in a run but others love it. My rabbit savvy vet is PVC Wythall and they really are good. Please PM me if you want the number etc. You can get huge metal run panels from ebay which are very felxible and I think dog crates are a great idea for indoor housing.

I dont insure my buns but have a savings account for vets bills. I find insurance for buns complicated and they have many clauses unlike other pet insurance. Hope this helps. :D

Hello and welcome,

I am a massive fan of the storage cubes! I bought the plastic correx from ebay as the base and it has been well worth it. Just good to fit into whatever space you have and make the most of it.

I really wish i'd had Rusty insured as about 4 months after we had him (over new year) he got really ill and it cost over £700 to make him better. If me insure him now he wont be covered for the same again. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Rusty is also a house rabbit and we havn't let him out. Don't think thats a problem although you will probably find varrying openions.

Lynette X

Hi Melanie!! :wave: Welcome to RU!!! I'm in Solihull too - the vet I'd recommend local to Solihull is the 608 vets. They have saved a couple of my buns lives!! With regards to insurance - it's been a bit of a debate on here but personally I'd open a buns account, the problem with insurance is that the excesses tend to be about £50 and after paying £9 a month it kind of doesn't make it worthwhile - personal opinion others will have different ones!
Indoor buns don't necesarily need a cage as long as they have somewhere they can retreat to and do their business - if the area you are talking about is bunny proof do you need the cubes? Most buns love to get outside and play so you could either let them have free range of the garden -if it's bun proof, whilst you are there to supervise or get a good solid run for them that foxes etc can't break into again whilst you're home.
Hope you find the right buns for you!!

If you're not getting a cage then i would advise having some sort of "hidey hole" for them to go in for peace or escape. You could use a cat arrier with the end door taken off or just a big cardboard box with a hole cut in the side.
House buns don't necessarily have to go outside but they would probably enjoy time to munchgrass! If you get a well made run with galvanised steel mesh (rather than chicken wire or so on) and a secure roof then they should be safe. Put something in there for them to hide in for security. Keep an eye on them, especially at first , to make sure they don't try and dig out!

Thanks for all this .... I am going to start ordering the bunny supplies and then look at the rescues.

I will take John with me as I am a bit of a sucker for a sad story and could come back with a house full!! No seriously, thanks for all the advice ... I am sure that I will have loads of questions when the bunnies land.

After reading all the above I think I will go for a bunny account rather than for insurance ... famous last words!!!

608 is really near for a vet so that will be great.

Thanks everyone :wave:

Melanie

Back