• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Honestly - what would be best for Jen?

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
This is probably a very similar question to Sooz's in Rabbit Chat, but I'm in a real pickle trying to figure out how best to make Jen happy now that she is on her own again :(

Financially, my options are either to invest in a good size dog crate and bring her inside, or, to find another companion for her.

The problems I see with the first option are that I both have to convince my OH that Jen won't really destroy the house with her nibbling little teeth :oops: and also, we are both at work from 8am to 5pm-ish so she will still be alone during the day.

The problems with the second option are really that I am terrified to take on another rescue bun in case I lose him after a few weeks too :oops: I've had Jen from a baby and she's been fine, but my two rescue boys - Vincent and Harley - both went to the bridge within a few weeks of being with me :( I really can't go through that again and I don't want Jen to suffer again either. I know it's silly but I feel like I have some kind of curse on rabbits atm :(

It's such a tough decision - I keep wavering between one and the other. I can't really afford to do both :(

The trouble with rescue bunnies is that you do not know their history - which can have a major effect on their health in later years. That is the downside of rescue (and the only one I can see).

The only other option is to go to a reputable breeder but I know a lot of people will not like that suggestion but if you have a baby from new then you can start it on a good path in life regarding future health problems.

Best option is to get a BABY bunny from a rescue so the health problems wont occur from previous bad ownership.

I'm having a good think about the same thing aswell at the moment.
I have Bertie as a housebun but after seeing Fudge and Furby outside playing together I really think is he missing out...
He's been outside in the run and had a little play but then looked at me as to ask to come back in. Then Furby and Fudge went into the run and they are really having some good fun out there..

Does Jen seem lonely now Harley has gone ? It must be very hard for you because jen has had a partner and enjoyed that bond.

Oh Heck. What a dilemma. I think the first option sounds problematic as reading between the lines it seems as though O/H isn't keen on having an indoor rabbit and I think it's obviously got to be a decision that you are both happy with. The second option seems the better one, though I can understand your reluctance to open yourself up to all that heartache again. However, bear in mind the fact that both Harley and Vincent were rescues and may well have had an underlying health problem which made it more likely that they would succumb to some illness or other...not your fault. But that doesn't mean all rescued buns are so risky...Both mine are fine and healthy(at the moment, says she touching wood!!), as are hundreds of others. I'm sure there's another bun out there just waitin g for you and Jen to turn his life around and make him a happy bunny.

Thanks for the replies

Jenny seems OK in herself but she is always so pleased to see me and that makes me think that she probably is lonely when I'm not home.

When she was bonded with Harley she became less friendly towards me. She was never aggressive but she wasn't bothered about coming over to say hello or have a nose rub, etc - she had Harls to keep her company and I didn't mind that at all. Now she is coming to me for comfort again I wonder if she is missing having a companion.

It is hard, isn't it. I just want to go what's best for her, she's my special bun :love:

EDIT: capel, you're totally right about my OH - he really isn't keen on indoor buns :(

Thanks everyone. You certainly given me some things to think about - I'm sure it's a Smudge - sorry nudge! - in the right direction :lol: :lol:

I'm going to have a think about a second bun over the next few days (and when I've sobered up... oh dear, you are all going to think I am some sort of alcoholic at this rate :oops: ).

Part of me still feels like a new bun would be betrayal to Harley :( Mental as it sounds, I'm also really worried what my neighbours will think if I get another rabbit so soon - the lady next door loves coming out with her little girl to see Jen and I'm sure they are going to wonder what on earth I do to the rabbits in my care! :shock: :( :(

Morrigan1981 said:
Part of me still feels like a new bun would be betrayal to Harley :( :(

Hi Tracie
Thats just how i felt when Rowan died :( I was stood in the kitchen on Christmas Day just sobbing and saying I would never again have another bunn as i was obviously useless with them, and I didnt want to replace Rowan.

The thing that made it worse was that I had chosen Rowan because he seemed so healthy....like you I had decided I couldnt cope with another bun with health problems :(

Since then, I've been thinking about Audrey more and I know she NEEDS another friend so in time I will get her one- with what has happened with my relationship I cannot at the moment, but I will when I am able.

There are no guarantees another bun wont die- and I dont think getting a bun from a breeder will offer any further reassurances, but you could ask a rescue about the obvious things like dental problems.

Theres no need to rush in to anything though, if you dont feel ready yet xx

Hi Tracie,

I know what you mean about it feeling to soon, for a few days after Harley went I was adament that I wasnt taking on anymore fosters- just rehoming the current ones and leaving it. Now I have a cute little one year old dwarf lop arriving on Saturday :D .

It takes veryone a different lenght of time to grieve and it will not harm Jen to be alone for a while, better to be sure about your decision than rush into anything and regret it.

There will always be buns needing homes and the best advice I can give is to make sure the one you chose is the right bunny for you and Jen, and that may take some time.

Sooz X

Thanks Mandy and Sooz.

I know exactly what both mean about saying that you wouldn't take on anymore rabbits - at the moment I'm stil wavering between wanting another rabbit for Jen (and for me too really) and thinking that I never want to risk having another again.

I worry a lot about what other people think - it doesn't help that I work in a group of men who seem to think it's funny to be really rude to me about the fact that I lost two rabbits after a short time - they think they ae being funny, but it's just not amusing at all :(

It's tough trying to separate in my mind the mixture of not wanting to make Jen suffer because I'm scared of getting another bun but not feeling ready for another bun too. I am definitely going to wait a while, as long as Jen is OK. I have a few things I want to try and do with the hutch anyway (not happy with the current set up, the attached run is better but it's still not quite right ;)) so it makes sense to get that all sorted out first!

Tracie

Back