• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny Nose

Ivor/Anna

Warren Scout
Ivor has marks by his nostrils and it looks as though he has had a runny nose. Also last night I noticed his paws were a bit dirty and he still hasn't cleaned them today! Normally he is very clean and his paws are white but now they are grey.

I've booked Anna Sophia in for a vets appointment first thing tomorrow morning for her first vaccs, I'm going to take Ivor as well, even though I haven't told the vets yet.
What could it be? Ivor is still active and eating well and I've not heard him sneeze ever. I've heard Anna sneeze once but it was ove r a week ago and was probably just a sneeze!

Can anyone help, I'm really stressing and its probably nothing.

thanks,

ian

Potentially snuffles, which may be cleared up with a long course of antibiotics (septrin is better than baytril for this) matted paws are usually a sign of snuffles as the snot clogs up their fur when they clean themselves.

A lot of bunnies live quite happily with mild snuffles, most rabbits carry the bacteria that cause it with no symptoms, with some rabbits periods of stress will cause it to flare up from time to time but a course of antibiotics brings it back down to a manageable level again. It is best treated early before it gets too persistant.

Caz

We went to the vets today and Ivor got checked out. Apparently he is fine, possibly caused by a hay irritations. The hay i normally seems to have changed this week, its much thicker and much worse quality it looks like straw!! So i think i will have to find a new hay supplier and hope the problem is solved.

Back