• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

childrens animal care books

Isabel

Warren Veteran
I flicked through a rabbit book in the library the other day and was quite shocked with some of the information in there and some of the lack of information. Things like "rabbits love being stroked" and suggesting rabbits should eat lettuce were the least of the problems with the book. Further in it suggested that "two girl rabbits will be happy kept together. Two boy rabbits will fight unless they have grown up together and you should only keep boy and girl rabbits together if you want them to have babies". Later in the book it gave very basic and I mean VERY basic instructions about what to do if you rabbit has babies. I know it is up to the parents to read up on this stuff too but it just amazed me but I am a big beleiver in a little bit of knowledge is more dangerous than no knowledge and parents may well beleive that the information in such books is sufficient and correct. And I'm not trying to start a discussion about the rights and wrongs of breeding rabbits its just this book made it sound like really not a big deal.

I know what you mean, it annoys me when you read stuff like 'rabbits are so easy and cheap to care for' :twisted:

Maybe they wanna see my vets bills for last month :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and how much proper food and hay and toys cost etc...

Nicola

I know! There wasn't even any mention of jabs, or neutering. There is an RSPCA book which is really good but if you just got this book out you'd have the idea that a Nethie rabbit is perfect for kids as they are small enough to handle.

I have the RSCPA book too. I was shocked when I was trying to buy a childrens bun book for my cousin, (her mum has just rescued a black and white dutch!) and I was appalled. Heres us trying to educate people and the muppets writing these books tell them everything is rosy...I gave her the RSPCA one instead!

Back