• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what to do...?!?! HELP

CottonMather

Warren Veteran
Ok, got to clear my mind, one way or the other...
Regarding this thread:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=39862

The breeder had phoned me up
*says the situation is desparate
*she used to breed but doesn't anymore
*sold all her other frenchies, hung on to this one, as it had accidently gotten in with a boy bunny :roll:
*doesn't have the space for the litter
*wants her to go before she pops

Do I go and get her, could keep her in a large dog crate (access to entire room though) in my bedroom, re-home babies when old enough... or leave her and hope the breeder will do something resposible?

I've not had baby bunnies before, not had french lops before and my o/h isn't too impressed about bunnies in the bedroom...

What would be best FOR THE RABBITS?

:!: HELP :!:

god i really don''t know. my first intict is to rescue them from ehr as she obviously wants rid of them but if you can't cope with them...

i dont know i'm so sorry

the babies wouldn't be ideal in a dog crate as they need to be protected e.g in a back part of a hutch where mum can pull fur and protect them and make sure they are warm,

She ideally needs to be away from disturbances as this could cause her to kill the litter

would the breeder not let you borrow a hutch for her

Wow Faye - that is one position to be in!! :? Frenchies are big rabbits and to have Mum and kids running round your bedroom when other half is not too keen is a lot to ask for, but when you ask what would be best for the rabbits I'd probably say to be with you - but like buddabun said you can only take on what you can cope with. I'm sure if she really needed to the breeder could find space for them, plus she will probably be able to sell them on pretty easily whilst they are still young, when you on the other hand will have to decide whether you keep them until they are old enough to be neutered which can be 5months. If you're not 100% sure I'd be cautious in saying take them, she kept her cos she was poss pregnant so must have thought she had room at the time, she may just be shirting her responsabilities and putting you in a difficult position in the process.x

She has an indoor cage... not sure of the details though, she just said that it's not enough room for them all in there...
I would be able to keep her shut in a room, but do have kids and dogs in adjacent rooms... would this be enough of a disturbance to upset her?
Sorry about the panic, but she is due from tomorrow :shock:

Hi Chloe, thanks for the input... I'd be more than willing to put everything I have into these little guys, Just not sure that my circumstances would be great for them. :oops:
Like you say, not sure about how long I could keep them for either. With the breeder, they'd be sold at 8-12 weeks... I don't know if I could morally let them go without being neutered, vacced etc.

if you think you can manage help them, as you said they arent going to be kept as well with the breeder as with you, so its a big improvement, amd the babies would be better off. maybe once the babies are old enough they can be taken to people to foster until they can be neutered and rehomed, im sure some people could help. this breeder doesnt sound like she wants this rabbit at all.

I agree, while awkward it does sound like she'd be better off with you than the breeder. As Elaine says a dog crate wouldn't be ideal but would it be poss for you to knock her up a nest box? That way she could have the babies in there and they'd not be able to get out for a couple of weeks or so, being so tiny. Will it be this buns first litter or is she an experienced mum?

This bun has been playing on my mind too. It's that awful position you're in of, "not sure if I can/should help but if I don't who will?!"

I made a nest box for my mum bun for her babies in her hutch, it wasn't too hard and she could hop in and feed babes etc but they couldn't get out til 2 weeks old or so.

Has the breeder not got any nest boxes or anything left that she could give you to help?

I know perhaps your accomodation would not be ideal for her but I still think it sounds better than the situation she's in at the moment x good luck x Faye x

What a difficult situation...i wonder if a rescue could help you rehome them when the time comes?

If I were you I would not give her ANY money for the bunn though...i see she is advertised for £50 :?

:evil: that woman needs a kicking for that..por bunny.
may i suggest you get the largest dog crate you can and put a huge cardboard box with a doorway cut out..make sure theres no bottom tothe box either..but put losts of soft straw..russell rabbit beddings ideal.
I admire you for being so brave..i know nothing of baby buns..but frenchies are big lumps but a new mummy will be protective..
theyd stand more of a chance with you than the breder who has no heart obviously or shed have asked a rescue or found a decent foster parent in another breeder..that if shes a breder whos registered and honest..!!

Sorry but I think you need to be honest with your self and think realy hard about what you can and can't accomodate. We would all love to be able to jump in and save a bun because it feels like you can really make a difference that way but it's very easy to get into difficulty.

Even the biggest size dog crate is not large enough to shut a french lop in. That means she'd need 24/7 access to the bed room. What's your OH going to say if she jumps up and wee's on the bed - a favourite bunny trick. What if she's noisy at night?

What if the pregnancy goes wrong and the mum needs an emergency c-section. Can you get to an emergency vet? Are you williing/able to pay the £100+ cost involved? If the mum dies have you got time to handrear the babies?

Then there are the babies - can you cope with mum and ten babies hopping around the room through the night? How about if the eat the carpet/wallpaper/skirting?

Then at 8-10 weeks you're going to need to seperate out the boys? Where are they going to go?

You'll need to think about rehoming... can you afford to neuter the boys? If so can you house them until they are 4 months old? Keeping in mind if the boys start scrapping you might have to seperate them out further.

Then there is finding homes. French lops have more specific requirements than normal buns so are even harder to home. I'm sure rescues will tell you even babies can be difficult to find homes for anyway.

If you're hoping/expecting a rescue might help you ask them before you take the rabbit. Otherwise you put them in a situation of having to help because you've a litter of babies that need seperating before they start getting pregnant and you adding to their difficultes.

If you think you can help in situations like this it's much much better to get involved with fostering for a rescue so everything is set up properly and you have back up.

Point the breeder in the direction of a rescue. If the story is genuine then they'll help.

Tamsin

It says on the other thread that the breeder can keep them until they are born & she will then re-home. :?

It's really expensive getting babies all neutered/spayed as they get old enough & having room to separate them etc if they fight/ splitting sexes etc. plus - French lops need more space than normal buns (& mine cost more to spay than a normal size bun)

AND moving a bun when she is due to pop can cause her to be distressed & destroy the litter.

The breeder has baby experience - maybe you could keep in touch & help her re-home the babies? I did that with one free-ad guy & it worked ok. he got the buns he kept neutered :D

Hi Angie, I know she said she'd keep them until the babies left... changed her mind? I was confused too - This is how the emails went:

Hi Faye

She is still available but needs rehoming before she has her litter. I have some other people to mail back but you're the first...I will leave it 10 mins for your response.

Hope to hear from you soon

Kerri

Hi Kerri,
Sorry about the delay - I have been out & have only just got your e-mail...
I hope that you have found your lovely Frenchie a loving new home, before it's too late (she's due tomorrow, isn't she?). If you haven't I'd still be willing to take her on, I have an extra large dog crate with attached run which would be used for the maternity period, this is kept in a bedroom... Outside I have a large enclosed pen for exersise, once the babies are old enough to go out.
I could drive and pick her up tonight or tomorrow (the sooner the better, for her!), however, my partner has insisted that I don't pay for her, as I would be spending lots of money on the babies (vaccinations, food, housing, homechecks, petrol etc.). No expense would be spared in the care of her and her little ones... So if I am not too late, please let me know asap
Many Thanks,
Faye

Hi Faye

You are more than welcome to come for her but I will need at least 30.00 for her as she is pedigree and the babies will be worth 30.00 each. You dont get them vaccinated to rehome them as they need to be 12 weeks. If this is ok with you then you can collect her as soon as possible. If not then I will have to keep her until the babies have gone then re home.

Let me know asap

Kind regard

Kerri

Hi Kerri,

Thanks for the reply. Would probably be best for both her and the babies if you keep them until they are rehomed... I would be happy to take her for £30 if the situation was urgent and you weren't able to keep them, but as it is, I'd rather leave her with you... I hope the babies arrive safely and in good health, and would really appreciate an e-mail with the babies details! good luck
:)

Thanks,
Faye

Hi Faye

Thanks for your enquiry..... this is a desperate situation so if you want her then please let me know.

Rgs

Kerri

:? Then came the phone call... This is why I didn't know what to do for the best...

Thanks Tamsin, for your input... I know I need to be realistic - which is why I asked for advice, I'd NEVER expect/assume I'd get help from rescues - they're bursting at the seams as it is. :shock:
I think you're right though, while I could keep them until they are 10weeks old - I couldn't really keep them all separately longer than this should the need arise. :oops:
Couldn't tell if they were 'at risk' or not from the e-mails... :(
I'll try to keep my mind off them, and concentrate on spoiling the four lucky bunnies I have here

Just sent this:

Hi Kerri,
Sorry for not getting back to you... Been thinking this all over last night, Can't help that think that I'd be doing a bad thing by disturbing her so much in such late pregnancy. Please consider keeping her until the babies have left home - you could always ask local rescues to help out by lending you hutches/cages etc. when they need to be separated.
Hope you don't think bad of me,
Regards,
Faye

Hi Faye

one thing that strikes me..if she is in a desperate situation then why is she insisting on money for the rabbits and why hasn't she contacted rescues for help?

you've done the right thing even if it is a hard decision.

Thanks for that - makes me feel a little better about it... Just so cross that she would let her go in such a heavily pregnant state, and you could tell that she didn't care WHERE she went! :evil:
Like Tamsin said, I should get myself set-up to foster once my current family members have all settled in properly! :)

Back