• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

when trying to bond bunnies....

bunnymadhouse

Wise Old Thumper
how many times do you try if the bun is getting upset and hurt .

Honey came to us recently bereaved after losing her partener .

we have now tried her with 3 different buns and even used different approaches to try and help things along . She seems frightened and immediatly goes on the defensive . today has resulted in a nasty wound to her eye only just missing damage to her eyeball . she has to go in tomorrow for stitches . :cry: :cry:

im pretty sure its not because she is still grieving for her lost partener as she seems fine when on her own now :?

not sure we can put her through this again she realy gets terrified . :(

it is usualy our policy to only rehome pairs of buns but looks like Honey may have to be an exception like Alfie was and go as a single house bun :?

Angie

If she is still grieving could you allow her to be rehomed as a single bun but put a condition in the adoption papers that she is bonded to a male within say 6months?

Angie with bunnies like Honey try the longer bonding approach, Keep her in a cage next to a male where they can see and smell each other..swap them round between each others hutch so they mix smells and let them in runs with only wire between them..after about 2 weeks try them in neutral territory again..ususally works! :D

Good luck!

Yeah, I'd just do it really really slowly. She might not actually even come round to that particular bun, but be fine with another :D .

unfortunatly we dont have the space for this .....we use traceys run or shed for bonding and while there in use her buns dont get out ...so not practical realy . :? :?

Would you consider sending her to a different rescue who may be able to bond her?
shame for her to spend her time bunny-less especially if she's been used to a partner.

I'm a bit full at minute here Angie, but if you give me a couple of weeks to get 2 neutered, I could maybe swap you a bonded neutered - ready-to-rehome pair for 2 singles & get bonding?

S'up to you if you'd rather bond yourself - I know it's worrying if bun isn't easy :wink: :D

Would you consider sending her to a different rescue who may be able to bond her?
shame for her to spend her time bunny-less especially if she's been used to a partner.

MIGHT CONSIDER THIS JILL . WOULD HAVE TO CHECK WITH TRACEY

I'm a bit full at minute here Angie, but if you give me a couple of weeks to get 2 neutered, I could maybe swap you a bonded neutered - ready-to-rehome pair for 2 singles & get bonding?

NOW THAT COULD BE A GOOD IDEA :D

Back