• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Confused-erratic hay eating?

kayw1

Young Bun
Hi, i am a bit confused with my rabbits hay eating behaviour. I have always fed them hay 24/7 on a hay rack and recently started to use Lunnuns hay. Initially they didn't like it but have started eating a lot of it. They were eating three/four racks a day. I give them plenty of vegetables at night and they have always finished them. The reason I am confused is that when i put new straw in the hutch, they eat the straw like maniacs and ignore the hay in the rack. They have not touched the hay in their rack for a whole dfay. However, when i bring their hay in a plastic bag and refill their hay rack, they dive into the bag and starting munching the hay like its the most delicious thing in the world while the hay in the hay rack is untouched.

Are they bored with their hay rack. They still like reaching up for things and i have seen them stretch up for vegetables that are suspended.

If anythink like mine he not like it in rack as mine likes it on floor or in bowl best and not in his rack, so yours might be like that.

:lol: It seems to me that you have some very intelligent buns who much prefer the easy option..why work away at a hay racK when it's so easy to grab mouthfulls from the bag :lol:

Back