• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

In or Out?

Hi, I wonder if I could get some advice...

I have two gorgeous lionhead bunnies who have been living as outside bunnies since I got them a year and a half ago. However, when their hutch was damaged in the high winds a couple of months ago, I brought them inside and they have been here ever since!

I was planning to put them back outside in the Spring (they have a double 5' x 2' hutch and 5' x 6' run underneath) but I think I would really miss them being in the house. At the moment they are in the dining room, whch is laminate floored, and they have two great big table protectors on the floor as they don't like the laminate that much...however the are starting to warm to the idea I think.

Do I keep them inside and get them a dog crate and run (which would equal less floor space than they have outside, and hope that they will get used to the laminate so that they can have free range of the downstairs of the house (we have a townhouse so they would be able to wander around the dining room, hall and kitchen where there are no wires etc) or put them back out in the garden?

I think they like it in the house, and they have access to the garden whenever I am here, but I didn't know whether they might prefer being outside again?

Sorry about the long post, I just want to do what's right by them, (and not just because I'm selfish and want to see them more :oops: )

Amanda x

Hi. Both mine were/are( :? ) outside buns until Bournville was a bit poorly and had to be brought inside for some tlc for a few days. Then the weather turned really cold so I decided really amazed me just how much more friendly they are since they've been indoors.they are both indoors until the threat of all frosts have passed. Mind you, I'd already decided that after watching them indoors for a day or two!! It's really amazed me just how much more friendly they are since they've been indoors. So my thinking is that they are indoor/outdoor bunnies! They will be outside on the grass in their big run, or in their hutch/run on the patio during the late Spring/Summer but will still have housetime every day as I just love having them indoors. It's At the moment I let them out in the run on the very sunny days for an hour or so , but bring them in as soon as they seem to be wanting to! Bournville tends to gaze wistfully towards the back door after about an hour..I'm not joking! His body language just seems to say "Please let me back in mum"!! and he just waits to be lifted out. I also feel it's important to get them used to being back in the hutch as then I won't feeel it's too much of a shock to them when we go away for a day or two.

Cookie & Twix were outdoor bunnies until Cookie passed to the bridge. I moved Twix in as she was quite depressed and I thought she could use the company. She has been in ever since. A week later, family arrived with a rescued bun, another lionhead, but he was about 4 months and had no winter coat, so is also an indoor bunny. Twix has never had problems with the laminate and it took Biscuit a few weeks to start to get the hang of it, he's a pro now! I was planning on putting them in the shed come the spring, but have done no work on it as yet, so we will see.

I'd vote inside, all my 5 are indoor buns and its great having them indoors!

You develop a really close relationship with your buns when they are indoors, as you generally have more contact with them. Moonshine follows me around, grooms me and lets me groom her, lets me pick her up and cuddle her. She's such a big softie! :lol:

If she lived outdoors I don't think we'd have that close cuddly relationship.

Nicola

Thanks for the replies guys.... I know I would love having them indoors, and they get loads of time outdoors...I am thinking of putting a cat flap in the back door with a run attached so that they have access outside but are kept safe during the day. I am not sure whether to sell the outside hutxch, or whether to keep it just in case...

I must admit the buns are a lot more friendly since they have been in. Neither of them are cuddle buns but now they come over and nudge me and Abby will lick me if I sit down with her, and Bob comes up for noserubs, which they never did when they were outside...they woudl only come over for food!!
Not sure if OH is as keen for them to be inside...the dining room is a converted play pen for them at the moment, but hopeful when they learn to walk on the laminate better and have a dog crate etc it will be a bit tidier!

Amanda x

They will master the laminated floor walk eventually! Bournville sat on the carpeted stairs and didn't want to venture off..I think it was the shiny finish that confused him, and he eventually screwed up all his manly courage and took a flying leap to get to the mat by the door. He didn't quite make it and ended up sliding quite a distance :lol: He's found his shiny -wood legs now and scampers about with no problem at all. I'd hang on to the hutch just in case you have to go away and can't get anyone to house sit...or you could use it to foster a bun or two

Thanks for the advice :thumb:

The buns are at this moment having a mad dash round the garden...I can't believe I never thought of keeping rabbits until a year and a half ago...they bring me so much joy :love: :love: :love:

Amanda x

I know I only have limited experience but Tango was an outside bun but when I brought him in when the nights got darker he seems to love it indoors. He's now an indoor bunny and loving all the attention. He does seem more friendly as he gets more interaction from us.

My three have always been indoor bunnies and i love having the inside with me. When we bought our own house we laid down lino in their room (spare bedroom) and for a while they refused to hop on it.. going from box to box and walking around cos it was so slippery.. however now they arent bothered at all.. we've been here about 4 months now and they all go up and down the stairs and go in the garden with me when its nice. Personally id keep the hutch/run so that you could put them in their in the summer time if you wanted them to be outside but not have to be with them

Thanks...the only thing I am a bit concerned about is that our garden isn't huge, and with having a large dog crate indoors and hutch outside aswell, it might be a bit much!!

Hmm....it's a tricky decision!

Amanda x

i'd say keep them inside if you can

i tried to have mine as indoor buns but willow spent 3 days sitting by and scratching the back door :roll: so i gave in

I think it depends on the bunnies I love my 3 but only Ebuny is happy indoors. The others seem to prefer to be outside. The cat flap with a run is what I did and the girls just stayed outside so I decided to keep them outside and they are so happy Ebuny doesn't like to go outside in the wet and will enjoy his cuddles so that is how it is till they change there minds again :)

Back