• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Good bye babe

I'm feeling really overwhelmed with grief at the moment. We had to say goodbye to our best friend Nibbs.
She suffered with heart disease and despite us trying with medication she did not respond. Unfortunately I have never believed in euthanasia but i'm afraid that we were pushed into a corner, she was so tired and struggled with every breath that her suffering made us seriously consider it. She wouldn't let go, she didn't sleep and lost so much weight. :cry: :cry: :cry:
The night prior was horrific, instead of being our girl she was somewhere else. She held her nose in the air with her whole body contracting with every breath. I thought that we would loose her. But nibbs being nibbs she faught the whole night through. Although still struggleing in the morning she seemed much perkier.

We cuddled and cried all morning and made the journey to the vets. We wanted a miracle but there was nothing they could offer which would fix her. And as she hadn't responded to the medicine it was unlikely that she would respond to anything else. They were very sypathetic and gave us time to say goodbye. Afterwards we took her home and cried more.

I didn't want her to be forgotten and i would have preferred for her to have burried at home with us. But because our house was on the market we felt that moving was abandoning her. So we decided to take her home to my mum and dads. She was born there and that's where her mum and dad are burried. We bought two plants, one of which because it resembled the colour of her coat, a lavender. We wrote a note and placed her with her favourite treat and a her towel to keep her warm.

We are still finding the decision we made difficult. I don't know if I'll ever feel okay about it. It's like it's our fault even though we know it's not. She was so young, she was our girl and the reason for us having a passion for rabbits.

So good night babe, behave yourself! And I hope I'll see you again someday. Love forever and always, Gem and Kev xxx

Nibbs 25/04/03 - 16/02/07

Nibbs2.jpg

I'm so sorry - you must feel so lost right now.

we're all here for you. I hope you feel better soon

xxx

So so sorry to hear about Nibbs :(
She was very much loved, and a lucky bunny because of it.
Binky free beautiful.

So sorry :( She was very beautiful and you obviously loved her very much. I think it is a brave and kind thing to end an animals suffering when nothing else can be done.

I really feel for you, and am so very sorry for the loss of your
extraordinarily beautiful Nibbs. You did everything in the best possible
way for Nibbs and I'm sure she fully felt your devotion and love up to the
last moment.
Sweet lavender dreams, Nibbs.

:( so sorry for your loss..she was so lovely too..
i lost a cat exactly like that..fighting for breath cos of heart disease..its awful..i relly feel for you..

how nice shes with her mumn dad..and i love the idea of a lavendarbush..

never doubt ypurself..you did everything you could and you have stopped the pain and the fight for breath..she will be transformed once more into the livelybun she once was.at the bridge.

I am really sorry Gem :cry:
Nibbs is now at peace, free from the constraints of her illness.
I am heading the same way with one of my little Rexes I fear..... :cry: :cry:

Binky Free Nibbs

Janex

Im very sorry for your loss, its always exceptionally hard to say good bye but even more so when the decision must lie in your hands. I am quite sure you have done the best thing for her.... there is no point in carrying on when the outcome is only pain.

Binky free Nibbs X

Thank you!

Thank you for all your support it really helps.

We've found it quite hard as many don't understand and they say it's only a rabbit, you can get another.

But she'll never be replaced. She's our girl and although we've now got to find nibb's mate a new friend it won't be to replace her. It will be to keep gizmo happy.

We hope that we'll manage to find that special connection again one day, but we'll wait and come to terms with what's happened.

Thank you from us!

Gem and kev.

Binky Free Nibbs

So sorry, hope Nibbs meets up with my Gus who sadly went on Saturday, perhaps they will be the best of friends and the pain for us gets easier x :cry:

Back