• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Walking dandruff

janjan

Alpha Buck
I have a rabbit that has been treated for what is called walking dandruff, some sort of mites. Digger the rabbit has had 4 lots of treatment from the vets since before xmas. I had to treat all 3 of my rabbits for this, even though it was Digger that was affected.
He still has it slightly towards his back end, but i think this is going to be an ongoing problem with him anyway.
Anyone got any ideas what i could use for him as this is becoming very expensive, tying to trat all 3 rabbits, when its Digger that has the problem. :!: I gromb him every few days to help keep on top of this problem. Any ideas :?:

theres beaphar spot on with ivermectin but ivermectin jabs at vets are the best.
Is there an underlying health problem..bunnies who are stressed..il or in pain ahve lowered immune sytems and tend to get mites then whilst the other buns dont!

My Nala and Simba has had it a couple of times now. The last time Nala had it i only had her treated as the other two showed no symptoms and it cleared up with 3 treatments. I know some people use an oral treatment rather than injections at the vets so that could be an option. Not sure what else helps though

What has your vet treated him with so far? The injection are by far the best treatment even severe cases are usually cleared up by three treatments max.

However mites can reoccur when the rabbit is stressed or ill, such as after castration etc. Is there anything that may be upsetting your bunny and therefor slowing his recovery?

walking dandruff

I have a mini lop called charlie who is 1 and a half years. He had walking dandruff before xmas which didn't clear up with the treatment the vets provided (xeno 450, active ingredient ivermectin). I therefore spoke to a rabbit breeder who suggested vetzyme veterinary antibacterial powder which only cost me £3.49! :D It cleared up within 2 weeks and was very easy to use. I have continued to use the powder once every couple of weeks to keep his coat healthy as suggested by the rabbit breeder.

Claire 3
Thats what i got from the vet, xeno, 4 boxs of it over a period of 8 weeks, using it on all 3 rabbits, even though digger was the 1 with the problem.
Digger is 1 of my rescue rabbits, he was roaming the neighbourhood, and i took him in, he has always had a problem with his fur, he continualy malts, from top to bottom, then he starts again, dont know why, proberly some faulty gene.
Anyway where do you get this powder Vetzyme? I think this would help for me to carry on treating him as well as grombing him to.
As for being stressed, he has a girlie bun living with him and a run of the garden. :lol: Thanks for your posts back everyone.

We have this problem with Barney. They only thing that got his mites under control was Bugs-Be-Gone powder by Gorgeous Guineas. It contains no harmful chemicals but really does the trick! http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/

P.S. There couldn't be an underlying problem could there? Are you sure he is able to groom himself properly? It may be worth checking him out for back problems if you are not sure :)

walking dandruff

janjan,

I bought the powder from a local pet store. It might be in the cat or dog section, but can be used for rabbits as well. If the pet shop do not have it in stock they may be able to get it for you. Or you could try ordering it over the internet.
All i did was brush it through his fur every day for a couple of weeks until i was confident it had gone. charlie didn't seem to mind me putting the powder on. He just thought he was being extremely pampered!! :D
Hope it woks for you as well.

:D Thanks Nix & cLAIRE 3
Have just brought some Bugs be gone for my other rescue bun who had a bad leg when i got her and has trouble keeping her rear end clean herself.
So will use this on Digger at the moment as its not chemical it wont harm his skin.
Will keep my eye out for the Vetzyme to get when i see it in the pet shop.
Thanks again you have all been most helpfull.
I seem to be ending up with unwanted pets and things are becoming exspensive, but i cant turn them away, ive got 2 guinea pigs as well so bugs be gone will be handy. :wink:

Back