• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

SOME RABBIT OWNERS MAKE ME MAD!!

karen&poppy

Warren Scout
On Sunday i was woken up to a knocking on the doow by a neighbour asking if my rabbit had escaped. Thankfuly, it wasn't Poppy but a neighbours rabbit (only found out whose it was because someone drove past me and my brother when we were catching it). Took 2 hours to catch and the people were out so i had to shut poppy in her hutch and keep the rabbit in Poppy's run. Poppy wasn't happy to say the least. Anyway the people came round for it an hour later and said that "it doesn't like its hutch and run so we leave it in the garden" and the little girl was complaining when her mum told her to pick it out of my run cos she "doesn't like picking it up". Anyway they assured me that they'd bunny proof the garden but mentioned that they might give it away. Thought it was sorted until i pull up in my car at my house and see it again! Baring in mind the owners live 4 streets away! Luckily i caught it quickly this time in a towel and took it back and went into the house with the little girl. The hutch and run is more than big enough for it so i told the girl that she should leave it in that so it stays safe and maybe bring it inside for a run if the garden isn't bunny proof. She mentioned that they had tried to get it into a sanctuary but they were all full. I told her that rather than leave it in the garden if it gets to a point where they cant cope I would take it off them and find it a new home. Makes me so mad! I really think that they are leaving it hoping it will run off and never return! Ignorant people! Does anyone know any sanctuary's with space that i could suggest to them should they ask my advice? I just dont have the room and i cant afford to get it neutered to live with poppy, plus i think it would eat poppy alive its too boisterous etc and she's very docile. Advice please! Sorry was long x

Sorry i should have said that i am based in manchester and that it was saturday that i first caught it and today (sunday) evening that i caught it again!

i would take it off their hands and try to rehome it-

if they are being lapse about its housing- are they also being lapse with feeding etc????

maybe they are letting it free because they dont want it

They had no idea that i was going to be coming in today and when i went through to put the rabbit in the hutch (they didn't feel confident picking him up to put him in the hutch (???)) the hutch was clean and he had plenty of fresh water food hay etc so i think that they are looking after him well just not realising that rabbits have social and safety needs too etc. I really stressed to the little girl that if her mum doesn't want it tell her to knock on my door so maybe they will. I can't do anything else but if i see it on the street again i am taking it straight to a rescue. Don't feel i can intervene just yet as the girl said her dad had spend an entire day bunny proofing the garden. i stressed to her that you can put as many fences up as you can but bunny's burrow! hopefully they will ask for my help, just glad i got home the second i did or i wouldn't have known.

poor bunny, you have done a good job so far and offered them some good advice, hopefully if they decide they dont want it anymore they will bring it to you

Jemma&Theo said:
you could always call the rspca next time- say you found it- they would rehome him surely

Some RSPCA centers are not to fussed about rabbits, they see them a s abit of a nuisance.

Others use fosterers as they dont have facilities for rabbits.

Sooz22 said:
Jemma&Theo said:
you could always call the rspca next time- say you found it- they would rehome him surely

Some RSPCA centers are not to fussed about rabbits, they see them a s abit of a nuisance.

surely its the owners that are the nuisance

Its strange that it turned up at your house the second time! Are you sure they didn't try to dump it on your door step? Someone abandoned a male lop in my garden a few years ago, unfortunately I had two unspayed females at the same time!!!!!! Incredibly and luckily nothing naughty happened, I got everybody done and they all lived happily.

Its a shame for the rabbit but it must be a relief to see that he was being well cared for in some ways(clean and fed etc).

Jemma&Theo said:
Sooz22 said:
Jemma&Theo said:

surely its the owners that are the nuisance

yep but unfortunatley they dont have to stick them in pens :wink:

OMG this sounds famliar, my neighbours had 2 rabbits, loose in the garden well fed with fresh veg and watered when we moved in last year. One escaped when they left the gate open but they never found it, the man said it was found as a wild one and would be happier running in the fields (there are ones at front of our houses).

the other rabbit they had escaped quite a few times in a space of a couple of weeks. I chased it back, into their garden - and she always seems to know where to run to!! I have often chased it back in and they seem to be taking more care of keeping it in and closing gaps in fences. They have lots of other animals and seem really keen on them. Suppose they just believe differently, think he said something about me being cruel for getting my 2 spayed and should "let them breed!!".

I hope your bunny 4 streets away is alright. Kept meaning to put this on, sorry it's on another thread!!

Not seen it since Sunday so hopefully they've taken my advice to keep it in the hutch and run combo, it really was plenty big for it so i dont know why they just didnt do that in the first place! Poor bunny! If i see it again im just gona take it to a rescue, its just so much bigger than my rabbit (it looked like a dutch but in tan and white) and i've nowhere to keep it and cant afford to have him neutered to put with Poppy.

Back