• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits swim?

buddabun

Warren Veteran
I just had a bath and, while the water was draining away, went to the bedroom. What do I hear but a massive splash, claws scrabbling on enamel and furious thumping!

Jack AND Charlie BOTH decided to go for a dip!!!!!

I usually take them into the bathroom with me when I have a bath so they don't get too cheeky and knaw cables etc while I'm away and they're fine. They like the bathroom, binky about etc, never ONCE have they expressed curiosity in the tub - empty or full.

Can rabbits actually swim? Trust me, I will never be leaving the bath unattended again - whether draining or not but I was wondering if they only swim when fighting for their lives (i.e. if they fell in a river or something) or whether they swim to cross streams. I know some cats will swim and appear to enjoy it and, while I doubt rabbits will actually ENJOY it, will they swim in non-life threatening situations?

I always worry about them jumping into my bath while i'm running it too :shock: especially as i like it really hot, I have to be so carefull that I shut the door! Fudge has jumped in the bath once before though luckily it was empty at the time!

No idea whether or not they can swim though :?

poor little chickens. they seem fine now - no lasting damage hopefully. I'm not an irresponsible mummy honest!!!! they just decided they needed a bath - lucky it was after I was done as I like mine hot too!

ah well

Yes they can swim. Had a very scary incident when we used to have a fish pond. For years Austin had been fine with the pond - out in the garden one day, heard a splash. Not sure if he jumped or fell but he definatly swam and was nearly back out by the time I had legged it over to him and hauled him out.

Nearly gave me a heart attack though :shock:

Glad we don't have the pond anymore!

oscar loved to swim or paddle last sumer so did bif..she was a furry mermaid..but it was hot and they did cool down so maybe it wasnt swimming it was cooling downt hey enjoyed so much.
Oscar used to go with nikki to the wet room shower..and paddle around whilst i was washing her hair orshe was sitting down having a shower..he had a thing for water..daft litle thing..hes missed somuch for that.

and so much other stuff.

Many years ago, there was a TV show that shows a owner who has a dog that loves all sort of adventures, including scuba diving. So the owner special made some scuba diving gears for the dog and the camera shows he really enjoy himself on these adventure.

i saw the scuba dog - bizarre isn't it!

i don't think my two actually enjoyed it as they looked a bit shocked when i came (running) back in - "mum really, how could you let us do something like that - we won't forgive THIS is a hurry!!!" little tinkers lol

Back