• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Putting buns in a trance...

buddabun

Warren Veteran
is there any truth in this? apparently if you lie them on their backs (hard enough to do) and stroke their bellies they go into a trance. I've not managed to make it work with either of mine and was wondering if it was actually possible or not. If so, any tips?

It is possible to do. I'm not sure of the ins and outs of it but I know some people don't like to do it as they believe it is like a fear reaction. I've never done it myself. Sorry not much help there.

oh god i didnt realise that! i only tried it once but won't do it again. thought it would be useful for clipping nails etc.

http://www.hopperhome.com/trancing_rabbits.htm
http://www.mnhouserabbit.org/care/trancing.html

"Trancing"
It is often said that a rabbit can be "hypnotised" or "tranced" by laying it on its back across your lap? Holding the rear limbs and tipping the head backward until it's "out." Initially the rabbit may struggle but will soon relax with perhaps only the hind legs quivering occasionally. The rabbit will come out of this "trance" as quickly as it went into it? Trying to get itself upright and get away. If you continue restraining the rabbit, it will simply struggle and may become aggressive.

Don't think that your rabbit is in a state of total bliss. When a prey animal such as a rabbit is seized it will freeze. By becoming immobile and trying to mimic successfully killed prey, the rabbit increases its chances of escaping and is less likely to be seriously injured. Thinking it has killed its prey, the predator may relax its grip, which stimulates the rabbit to spring into life and attempt to escape. If the escape is thwarted. the rabbit is likely to fight in a last ditch attempt to escape death.

This is what your rabbit is doing during "trancing" That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. It is extremely useful when cleaning the rabbit's sensitive areas, like the face, feet, or under the tail. If the hind feet seem to be vibrating touching them will usually stop it. This technique is well worth learning as it is the most convenient way to inspect a rabbit's front teeth.

hth

I dont agree with trancing Rabbits. I believe that it does cause them to adopt the 'play dead' stance that they may use in order to get a predator to drop them and allow them to escape. I believe it is a fear response

Janex

I have been cleaning Twinkle's bottom with baby wipes and I cradle her in my arms and lay her on her back. She is happy to lay there whilst I wipe. Didnt know there was such a name for her laying there. Thought she was comfortable in my arms whilst I wiped. Not sure whether I should continue cleaning her now :?

Sometimes it is useful if you need to look at a scar or check for descended testicles! I don't do it on the rabbits that don't like it and I only use it when I feel its necessary to do something safely. I do have one rabbit though, Gismo, who I really believe is happy in this position. He will lie like that for ages and will happily munch on a few herbs or other treats in that position and shows every sign of enjoying it and being relaxed. I imagine this is a bit unusual though!

my mum did it once to cut my old boys nails and when she was cutting his nail he booted her in the head with the other foot!

never laughed as much in my life - needless to say she never did it again

when i clip my guys' nails I tend to sit down and lie them back sandwiched between my legs. they don't like it but they don't like having their nails done either and it's the quickest way to get it over and done with. I don't know if this is a trance - I doubt it as they're breathing quite heavily. needless to say I don't do this often and somtimes their nails do get quite long but i hate scaring them like this.

hopefully they're ok but won't be trying it again!

I have never done it and never will, i do not like to let them think they have to be 'tranced' or made to feel as if they need to be playing dea just for me to do something mine are fine when i clip their nails i just keep hold of them as normal

Apperently a similer thing can be done for Lizards but you shouldn't do it as when you lay a lizard on its back all its organs inside are pressing down on their lungs and are actually suffocating it hence why they lay so still :(

oh bless them, poor lizards! no wonder they lie still!!!!!!!!!!!

taking them to the vet's later so will ask him how i can minimize stress while giving them their mani/pedi.

x

Sooz22 said:
It is a fear reaction.

I do 'trance' my bunnies for giving meds and nail clipping but I keep the period of time as short as possible. Although it is uncomfortable for them it minimises the risk of damge to their nails, before I tried this technique I seemed to cut at least one quick everytime when they struggled, even in a towel. Now it is very rare that this happens.

The position I use is to wrap them in a towel, lie them on their backs between my knee's with their head facing me- I used this position for a while before i became aware of what it was and why it works.

For some reason it donst work on Marley, he is impossible to trance so we just have to have a struggle between us.

I cracked it: I tried to edit my post cuz I wrote in a hurry and quoted myself by accident!! :oops: :lol:

I do it once in a blue moon to trim nails. Sometimes mine will sit and have their nails clipped, sometimes they won't. If not getting them on their back is the easiest and quickest way to do it, but they're never completely "tranced". My sister's minilop used to lie their and not seem bothered in the slightest... while with my two, you can tell they're terrified and they will grunt and thump when they get away. I feel awful when I do it but without an extra pair of hands sometimes it's the only way.

I would never do it for any other reason than nail trimming, cleaning bums, examining and sexing...

asked the vet and she reckoned the "best" way was to hold them by the scruff of the neck and invert them, supporting their back along your arm. i've seen vets do this before and have tried it once or twice but to be honest i feel i might drop them if they decide to struggle. i am much happier clamping them between my thighs (wahey) as I know they can't get hurt that way. both buns are healthy - we have no idea why jack's nose is running but neither of us wanted her on meds if we can avoid it.

Back