• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny First Aid Box

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
Do you have one?

I have collected loads of bits and pieces over the years and am really glad I have one. My essentials are:

Brush
Fine tooth comb
Nail clippers
Clean flannel
Towel
Metacam
Baytril
Fucithalmic
Fuciderm
A selection of various size syringes
KMR Milk powder
Savlon wound wash
Sisscors
Mite Spray
Flea Spray
Rock salt crystals
Cotton pads
Styptic Powder
Elizabethan Collar
Bio Lapis Pro-biotic sachets

I think thats it.... am I missing anything and whats in your first aid kit?

I haven't got one but my hubby has said we need to get one sorted.
Where do you buy Metacam from and Baytril ? Is it from the vets and how long do they keep for ?

From the vets. Metacam is 6 months after opening I think and not to sure with the Baytril, it never seems to be here long, but i would think a few months once opened and indefinitley up until then.

I dont think Baytril will keep indefinately cos it's already been opened when you get it from the vet if you know what I mean. My vet told me it would last about 6weeks - I had a bottle longer and it seperated :?

Weve never had a bottle last that long :? which is why I wasnt sure.

Yes your right, its decanted from a larger pot isnt it.

Sooz22 said:
Weve never had a bottle last that long :? which is why I wasnt sure.

Yes your right, its decanted from a larger pot isnt it.

Yeah, usually they don't but the vet changed Bilbo's medication before the end of the course cos it wasn't having any effect on her so I ended up with some left over and forgot about it! :roll:
Out of curiosity how do you have spare Baytril to put in a FAK as it is prescription only?

I ask for a repeat for Fiver due to his Cystitis and even though they know the other buns use it too they are quite happy for me to have it. :wink:

Not sure all vets would do this or that I would advise inexperinced people to carry it though.

I have a lot of prescription meds in mine BUT I only administer them AFTER consulting with Christobel (Vet)

Baytril Injectable + Oral
Septrin Injectable + Oral
Depocillin
Metacam Injectable and Oral
Torbugesic
Buscopan Injectable
Metoclopromide Injectable
Frusemide Injectable
Vitamin B Injectable
Panacur and Panacur Rabbit
Hartmanns Solution (for I/V or sub-cut rehydration therapy)
Canulars for IV fluids
1ml + 10ml Syringes
Needles
Fucithalmic
Tiacil
Canaural
Fuciderm
Flamazine
Betadine Wound Wash
Sterile Saline
Sterile Dressing Packs
Round Ended Scissors
Tweezers
Nail Clippers
Combs and Brushes
Cotton Wool Pads
Cotton Buds
Cohesive Bandages
Micropore Tape
Wooden Lolly-Pop sticks (for splinting a leg!!)
Avipro
Fibreplex
Bio-Lapis
Critical Care
Vaseline
Sudocrem
Infacol
Chamomile Tea Bags
Aloe Vera Ointment
Manuka Honey

Janex

Think I should add vaseline to mine and Panacur too.

Wow thats a lot of prescription drugs! :shock:

It dosnt hurt to have the basics :wink: a good wound wash, cotton buds, bandages, eye drops/wash, a syringe minus needle, probiotics, clippers, scissors, brush, mite/flea/worm treatment and a barrier cream.

A rabbit friendly shampoo might be a good idea to *mental note to buy some*

I'll be getting my basics to and make my own box. With a possible 4 rabbits soon you never know when you might need something you don't have. I saw a link on here once for animal medicines over the internet but can't find it now.

um i dont have much in mine really just some guaze and bandage, infacol, fine toother comb, snugglesafe, syringe and recovery food, i did have some bio lapis too but when duchess got ill i used it as soon as i realised something wasnt right

Sooz22 said:
Do you have one?

I have collected loads of bits and pieces over the years and am really glad I have one. My essentials are:

Brush
Fine tooth comb
Nail clippers
Clean fla........

I heard a few people using sudocrem?

I really must get a first aid kit together, especially after Biscuit's very sudden illness Friday night. I have tweezers, cotton buds, gauze, bandadges and syringes, but this is just out of the family fist aid box. I do think it is important and it is something I will be doing asap, as in tomorrow if possible.

cotton buds
coton pads
bandages
micropore tape
gauze
golden eye drops(need to get new bottle!)
bio lapis
rabbit recovery sachets
baby food
nail clippers
cornflour
vet wound powder
panacur rabbit
advantage
metacam
sudocrem
tea tree eczema cream for animals
syringes
simethicone(infacol)

Jemma&Theo said:
Sooz22 said:
Do you have one?

Brush
Fine tooth comb
Nail clippers
Clean fla........

I heard a few people using sudocrem?

I think Sudocrem is a barrier cream isnt it? Thats what we use Fuciderm for or if there is no inflammation we often use aqueous cream or just plain old vaseline (from the human box).

Back