• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Frodo is very poorly....advice needed please

Snowy

Wise Old Thumper
I noticed last Wednesday that Frodo was very quiet and not his normal self so took him to the vet on Thursday morning who found a sharp spur on his teeth that had dug into his cheek and caused an ulcer, because he hadn't been eaten too well he has an impacted gut, she sorted his teeth out and gave him an antibiotic inection, a metacam injection and a metoclopromide injection.

The vet gave me further injections to give him on Friday and Sat and this morning which Ihave given him but he is still not better.

He did a few small black poos on Friday and Saturday but nothing today.

This morning he has had, 1 x metoclop injection, I x Oxylet injection, 5 x drops of metacam and 0.5 mls infacol and avipro

Anything else I can do?, or does anyone have any suggestions

Poor Frodo. :( I hope he feels better soon. Have you tried a bit of fresh pineapple juice, very gentle tummy rubs or encouraging him to run around, to get his tummy moving? Maybe a snugglesafe or a supervised hot water bottle would be comforting too??

That's an idea, I'll give the pineapple juice a go and see if it helps, I have been giving him tummy rubs and trying to make him move around.

Trouble is I feel so flipping helpless!!

I am so worried about him

Can you annoy him into eating ?I've done that to Evo before, wiggled a piece of hay in front of his mouth, until he got so annoyed that he chomped it.

Poor Frodo :cry:

TBH I would avoid the pineapple juice as its acidic which will:

1-Sting his ulcerated mouth

2- aggrevate his guts as being on Metacam and having not eaten much he is at risk of GI Ulceration. It might be a good idea to ask the Vet about prescribing him some Ranitidine or Cimetidine ( anti GI ulcer meds)

Have you got any Fibreplex? That would be good to get into him. Also some Critical Care if you have some. The more fibre you get into his guts the better.

Hope he will perk up soon

Janex

Jack's-Jane said:

2- aggrevate his guts as being on Metacam and having not eaten much he is at risk of GI Ulceration. It might be a good idea to ask the Vet about prescribing him some Ranitidine or Cimetidine ( anti GI ulcer meds)

Have you got any Fibreplex? That would be good to get into him. Also some Critical Care if you have some. The more fibre you get into his guts the better.

Janex

Have syringed Critical Care and he has had a whole tube of fibreplex, but nothing

My vet is not in until Tuesday.............so I need to do all I can until she is back, anything else I could try?

I did think of softening some A&P pellets and syringe those?

any help would be appreciated

snowy said:
Jack's-Jane said:

Janex

Have syringed Critical Care and he has had a whole tube of fibreplex, but nothing

My vet is not in until Tuesday.............so I need to do all I can until she is back, anything else I could try?

I did think of softening some A&P pellets and syringe those?

any help would be appreciated

Can you hear any gut sounds at all?
Do his guts feel soft and 'doughy' or gassy? Can you feel any poo in his guts?
Is he depressed within himself?
I am wondering if his pain relief is not adequate? Mouth ulcers are so sore :(
Making a liquid feed out of A+P is a good idea

I hope Frodo soon feels better. When mine have been unwell ive mushed up A&P pellets to feed them and they always seem to take it. If you boil some water and let it nearly cool then use that it seems to be better slightly warm. Has he been drinking? If not maybe you can syringe a little water into him as well.

Thanks everyone, I have tried all that has ben suggested but with no luck,

I have given him another 5 x drops of metacam and 1 ml x prepulsid and 2 x notches of fibreplex

I can't hear any gut sounds and it's no good me trying to feel anything because I don't know what I am feeling!, I am just so worried about him and seem so useless, I am just about to inject metoclop again and do some more tummy rubs

Sending lots of poo vibes to Frodo. Biscuit doesn't seem to need so many right now (after doing lots of cecals), so sending all the spare vibes your way. Nose rubs (and some tummy rubs too) to Frodo.

best advice has been given im afraid..but i will add one thing..the rabbit recovery stuff mixed with baby food all slightly warmed..very slightly..and syringe feeding..bio lpais as an isotonic solution canhelp too but fibreplex hasthe added fibre..

if you pinchthe fur on the back of his body..does it ping right back or does it kinda "tent" then slowly go back? some kiddies diorylate( cant spell it!)is useful for rehydrating which is also a big problem inthese cases..
the vet gave you the stuff to inject..wow if our old vet had doent hat we may have been able to save oscar!
try holding him on your arm..withhis butt flopping over the edge but with you supportinghim..its easier for the gas to move that way..youre doing everything you possible can..i hope theresa huge improvement soon.

Thanks everyone!, we have a few poos this morning that resemble coffee granules, they are very tiny and dark, but at least something is moving

He is still not eating much but I did syringe critical care last night and it's hard to judge how much because a lot of it ended up down his front!

Will keep trying today and get him to the vets in the morning when she is back

Thanks again

Back