• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Black crawly insect in bunnys fur!!!! HELP!!!!!! UPDATE TUE!

Groovychick1804

Warren Scout
Hi, How is everyone? Its been along time since I have posdted on here so here goes.......

I have one rabbit called Misty we have no other pets. Misty has free run in the garden if she is supervised otherwise she is in her run.

At night she comes into the kitchen for cuddles before bed and I noticed something crawling in her fur! I couldnt catch it as it ran asway plus i was in shock!!!! anyway I tried to look for it - I couldnt find it the :twisted: had ran away and was hiding!!!! I did notice afew black bits which coul;d have ben poo but not that much.

I am just worried on what it could be? Do I take her to the vets or get a treatment powder to try and kill it??? Misty is not the best of rabbit to take to the vets as she dislikes been picked up. I will try and search for the :twisted: little blighter later on!!!!

HELP!!!!!!

UPDATE!!!!

After mum killed the black thing each night we have checked her fur and found no crawly insect or flea! There is evidence of a small amount of poo but not a great deal! Misty is not really scratching! but as the saying goes ' if theres one theres usually more' SO WHAT DO I DO????

I dont want to buy a flea treatment at this moment in time if she has none as it might do more harm than good!

I have stripped her cage and washed all her teddies!

If you can I suggest you groom her with a fine comb over some newspaper, that way you will be able to see any creepy crawlies and hopefully identify them. If you can't work out what they are, wrap them in cling film and take them to the vet with you (I know that sounds gross) but at least that way the vet can see exactly what the problem is.

Sounds like fleas to me. Rupert had fleas :oops: he also has the run of the garden when supervised, and hangs out with my cat and dog, which I think is where he got them from. The treatment was just a spot of liquid on the back of the neck, very simple and quick, no need for picking up.
As the vet rightly pointed out its even more important to be up to date with myxi vaccination as they are passed on by fleas.
Hope this helps
Ness

Hi :wave: It sounds like Misty has flea's. I would recommend getting some advantage from the vets as its very effective and you just apply it to the back of her neck once a month. Is Misty vaccinated :?: I would also advise spraying her hutch etc with enviromental flea spray eg Indorex to make sure there are not any lurking there :!:

hi did it run run or wiggle?

fleas would be my first guess..and yes as already said ADVANTAGE from the vets is wonderful..not like the old xenex spot on i used..my buns got burnt skin and allergic reactions from it!
Advantage is also used on our kitty cats..so its safer than using frontline on ym cats and the buns getting exposed toit..advantage alla round!

yeah bertie had ants and a wood louse last summer from just snoozing int he grass! :lol:

our first doe had mites and lice..they were weird little things looked like teeny weeny bits off a ruber and they wiggles like worms! at first i thought they were flea larave even tho she never went outside and our cats were treated and nvever ahad fleas..
the vet said they were lice..oh yummy!

If you just saw one, before rushing to the vets keep a close eye on Misty... if you don't see any more crawlies and there is no excessive scratching then she might have just picked something up from the graden. If she is scratching though, she may have fleas and off to the vets you go!

Thanks for the replies!!

My mum managed to catch the little crawly and rightly KILLED IT!!!!! So I am going to check her later on and try and catch her lol to check her belly etc! Then all her teddies and things will be put on a HIGH wash!!!!

Can you get advantage from the petshop????

Does sound like fleas to me as well - you must make sure that the vet DOES NOT GIVE YOU FRONTLINE as this will kill your bun :cry:
Advantage is great :D

Back