• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it difficult having more than two rabbits- should i get ?

kayw1

Young Bun
Hi, I currently have two very sweet dwarf lops who live together in a big hutch/run combo. I would love to have another two rabbits but i am wondering if it is a lot of work and costly to have more than two. I have a fulltime job as well as family and social commitments. I completely clean out the hutch every week in winter and twice a week in summer. Unfortunately i do not always have masses of time to spend with my rabbits when i get in from work because i am often knackered. This does not mean that i neglect them- i do meet their needs daily and clean out their litter tray and spot clean them. I probably spend an hour or more with them a day in winter stroking and playing with them (less if the weather is foul) and a lot more time in the summer. They seem very close to each other and do come to me to be stroked before running off when they have had enough. I check on the a few times in the evening and stroke them also.

I know some people selling two mini lops with a hutch for £30 (i think they have outgrown them). I would dearly love to have more rabbits and i know i would be able to provide them with a good home. My question is, is it very expensive to keep more than two? My rabbits eat only hay and vegetables daily. My rabbits will only eat the expensive vegetables such as broccoli and spring greens. They have to be starved before they will touch celery, cucumber, any cabbage and brussels sprouts. I put a big bale of straw in their hutch in winter weekly (half this or none depending on the weather in summer). They are both vaccinated with myxo and VHD. My intention is that these new rabbits would live in a hutch/run combo opposite my rabbits-their run is on paving sklabs. In the summer, i will have a big run where i want to put all the rabbits so they need to be vaccinated and if they are not neutered/spayed, iu will also have to do this.

I am also thinking of French lops and a continental giant instead of the mini lops. Sorry this message is so long. Can someone be honest with me and tell me if i provide enough time to my current rabbits to have more and does it cost me double to have two more?

Hello

From what you have said about the commitments you already have I would say you would be best advised to just stick with the Buns you already have.

As for additional expense. Well there would be the vaccinations, the neutering, the unforseen ailments.......

Janex :)

Thanks for that> i probably would get up feeling guilty about having less time for my rabbits. The mini lops have gone now, i hope they went to a good home!

I'd say if you have the money to afford another pair of rabbits why not go for it - a pair don't 'need' our attention like a single bunny does and if you're working you'll have the money for extra vaccinations, food etc. If like me you don't work you might have all the time in the world but no money :roll: To be honest I don't spend very long with my rabbits, but they don't need me they're so loved up together

There are some lovely french lops on RR at the moment :D

Thanks for that. My two boys love each other so much that they only run to me for a very brief stroke before running off and getting on with their bunny activities. Sometimes, when i call them they come to me to see if i have anything for them. If not, they are not interested!! I sometimes feel a bit guilty thinking that if i spent more time with them, they would probably want to be fussed a lot more. I don't think they need me emotionally though-only when they have fallen out and then you can stroke them and hug them both as much as i want and they don't get fed up!!

Well I don't work I'm a housewife( that makes me sound so old) ....
I am at home all the time with my bunnies. I have just bonded 2 buns that are so loved up they don't want me around :lol: .. I have 1 single housebun and would love a girlfriend for him but just not sure I could cope with the extra vet fees.. Dont get me wrong the once per year injections are not a problem its the extra appointments needed at the vets.. I have spent a fortune in the vets these last few months due to complications of spaying my bun and neaturing :( .. I also know now that my foster bun( now hes staying ) due to his poor diet will need dental care :( throughout his life ... I really think at the moment I will have to keep with the 3, Bertie our indoor bun has lots of attention from us.

KAREN :shock: "Well I don't work I'm a housewife" You run a house, have a husband, 2 children and 3 bunnies..and you say you don't work??? :?
Sorry a bit O/T but I've got that off my chest so will get back to the topic. 2 rabbits will be twice as expensive in basic costs like vacs etc, but factor into that the possibility of emergency vet treatment x4..highly unlikely, I agreee, but worth considering. On the other hand double the buns is double the pleasure as well!!! If the potential extra cost isn't a problem then I'd go for it...so many beautiful bunnies out there needing care and protection.

My two boys are very healthy (touch wood!!) and I have only had to pay for jabs and neutering so far so its not cost me to much! I can afford to save a rabbit with major teeth problems or health problems but i am swaying a bit towards 2 healthy adopted buns because I am a worrier and would stress and my vet is already sick of me ringing him alll the time (thats why i joined this forum!)

KAREN "Well I don't work I'm a housewife" You run a house, have a husband, 2 children and 3 bunnies..and you say you don't work???
Sorry a bit O/T but I've got that off my chest so will get back to the topic. 2 rabbits will be twice as expensive in basic costs like vacs etc, but factor into that the possibility of emergency vet treatment x4..highly unlikely, I agreee, but worth considering. On the other hand double the buns is double the pleasure as well!!! If the potential extra cost isn't a problem then I'd go for it...so many beautiful bunnies out there needing care and protection.

:lol: :lol: Yes Hilda you are right .... Oh bunnies are so great though aren't they ? As I say to Andy I don't spend money on myself I don't drink or smoke so my buns are my pleasure.. :D :D

Back