• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My boyfriend is wheezing........help!!

Kim_w

Mama Doe
Every morning when we wake up my boyfriend wheezes really badly and my chest is a little rattly.
I use "wagg" meadow hay from asda, it is nice green, sweet smelling hay and doesnt seem that dusty. ( I used to have a horse so can tell nice hay from rubbish hay!)

Does anybody know of a really good non dusty hay I can get off the internet?
I did get some from they hay experts but found it very expensive.

I need to find some good hay- I cant kill my boyfriend!!!!!
( He does smoke so I keep telling him off for that as well!!)
:shock: :shock: :shock:

i get wheezy if im near dusty hay or anything like that, i dont have a real problem with asthma or anything, just the occasional reminder that its still there. are you sure that it is the hay causeing the problem? the dust from hay doesnt seem to be in the air for too long. i found that even hay from one source changes too much. pets at home (i know everyone hates that place) has great hay, no dust and my guineas love it. but for my rabbit i have big bales of hay same stuff i give the horses. well, except the rabbit has the 2006 cut now as its nicer hay and the horses are on the 2005 cut from our fields because they cant have the richer newer stuff. (one horse has history of laminitis when we got her, so dont want anything that could provoke that, and the others are all welsh ponies and dont need nice hay!!!! im not nasty dont worry, but if they ate the nice stuff they would be so fat, well tbh theyre already fat). the dust extracded hay in bags is great, but i dont like buying hay on the internet because you cant see is and smell it and feel it.

Thanks for that I will have to have a trip up to pets at home this week!! He stayed at his house on thurs night and said he wasnt wheezing in the morning so thats why we think its they hay but what confuses me is when I just had Rupert he didnt wheeze!!
My pony was a fell pony so I totally understand the not needing nice hay thing!!!! During the winter he used to get turned out in basically a sloppy mud field that had a few blades of grass in it, he had a handful of happyhoof in the morning and at teatime and 3 slices of hay and was still huge!!!!! x x x :D

hya first if all he smokes that leaves his chest already irritated and anything else on top can make it worse..

if its not the bun its probably straw hay litter..even pelelted food.
i have asthma and my pets dont set it off but hay does..especially meadow hay..so i canceleld my order for thehuge bulk on the dust free hay site..
plus petra our vet said give the buns their fave hay that i also got on ok with with my allergies..

i get 2nd cut timothy hay from bunny basics..much nicer and very reasonable i think..

i have allergic rhinitis and all my life ive had pets..for years now ive been on antihistamnies daily.for hay fever symptoms all year round..worse around pets.but i take it and a nasal spray..cos im too in love with me pets to worry bout that..if my asthma was bad enuff cos of pets id be a mess.. :( im lucky so far..but did find the meadow hay and shop hay made me worse.worth changing the hay.for sure.

I have been really wheezy lately, if I have buns indoors I tend now to put it into a hay rack of various descriptions, that saves them kicking up the dust in it which I then breath in. That way they can get their hay and I dont wheeze so much.

The hay for the bunnies affects me quite badly. I just take anithistamine one a day and I am fine.

Worth taking a little pill to feel comfortable around the bunnies and hay etc.

Cheers guys, we have just been to pah and got some timothy hay. I am going to order some timothy hay from the hay experts but was desperate for some new hay for tonight because he was awake at 4am this morning coughing like mad and his chest was rattling really badly! :shock:

Back