• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits not being taken care of...

dlyrica

New Kit
Hi I'm new!
Someone from the rat forum I'm a member of told me about this site when I posted my story and thought ya'll would be more knowledgeable.
Anyways, my bf's roomate and his gf just got two baby dwarf rabbits. The instant that they decided to get them my bf and I knew this would be a bad idea b/c they both view animals kind of like accesories and apparently don't think they need to be fed or played with. They have only had the rabbits a little over a week but they are already being terribly neglected. I have given them food atleast 3 times because they didnt have any in their bowl and last night I said to my bf.."Atleast they refilled their waterbottle today" to which he replied "I did that." I don't know what to do about the situation. The cage really needs to be cleaned yet I feel like they know I will clean it if it gets too bad and I really don't want to do that because they are supposed to be their responsibility. I just wish they would give them to me and my boyfriend so they could be properly cared for.
Can anyone help me with what to do??? and also any advice about care would be appeciated! P.S. Does anyone know if they are definitely both dwarves? The brown one doesn't really look like one to me..
Thanks!
bunny1.jpg

bunnynew.jpg

bunny2.jpg

Rabbits should have access to fresh hay 24 hours a day and of course fresh water too. They should have as much pellet food to eat as they want as babies (less as they grow older) and need to have their bedding changed frequently to keep it clean. They also need several hours exercise each day. Do you know how old the babies are or what sex they are? I'm not sure about the breed - they look like a bit of a mixture to me.
What kind of accomodation are they in?

just tell them straight- you will call the rspca if they dont hand them over or do something about it.

personally id remind them they can go to court for neglecting them

stand up about it- or cut out little newspaper writing and send them death threats.

just an idea

Hi, are you in the states? They look like Netherland Dwarfs to me or cross breeds but could be wrong. They are very sweet. Do you know the sex of the bunnies? The owners will need to get them spayed/neutered once mature esp if they are of the opposite sex - the last thing you want is a litter on your hands! It is very sad when people buy pets as accessories, esp rabbits because they really are quite high maintenance pets imo. ht

I'm not sure how old they are but the petstore people told us they were both females(don't know how reliable that is though)..and yes I'm in the USA

Well, I think you have to see what happens. It may be that they get bored of them after a while and maybe they will be happy to hand them over to you and your b/f to look after! For the time being I think you should do what you can and make sure the little buns are well cared for. They are absolutely adorable. ht

:( have a word with the humane society..its negelect and cruelty what theyre doing..ask them if theyhad kids would they not bother to feed them etc because a pet is no different in responsibilty and care.and love..
if they do hand them over..what is the chances theyll get more?
http://www.hsus.org/

whose lap are they on there..cos they look quite comfy bless them.they lookike nethie cros maybe..hard to tell as they are so small..how old are they? what they are doing is animal abuse hionestly tell them youre going to report them as such..it doesnt matter who these people are to you..think of the animals..heck i had to report my own half sister to the rspca and id do it again if i thought itd help..animals are like small children..innocents..like i said what would they do if they had a kid!! :shock:

you sound very caring maybe with a bit of luckyoull get those little babies of fthem..please let us know what happens :wink:

We all have to stand up to animal cruelty.

Because of my constant badgering and threats to call the RSPCA, my next door neighbours have built a run for their rabbit and actually feed him every day now! I still don't think they should have a rabbit but the little chap has it an awful lot better then he did!

I know it's hard but keep pestering, eventually they'll either do it right or hand them over to you to re-home.

Good luck

It's a difficult one, especially as you and your b/f have to live with them but the fact they are adults and have yet bored of them so quickly is scarey!! Like has already been said baby buns need hay, water and food on tap whilst they grow and interacting whilst they are young also stands them in good stead for being easy going confident adult buns. It's easy to speculate and say what I'd do, but when friendships are involved it's actually a lot harder. Do they actually want the rabbits now they have them? Like you said if they think you and your b/f will clean, feed and water them they don't have to but who could not? Have you asked them if they still want them or if they'd let you adopt them? There's always the drastic action of letting them get filthy and then informing the RSPCA, but again they'll probably know who did and with friendships involved it could get messy. :? I may get shot down in flames for saying this but if you dont clean them out and they get in a state the place will really smell and maybe then they'll realise there is more to having buns than they thought and be happy for you to take them - or just wear them down with endless nagging - another thought! Good Luck!!

Hi, thanks everyone. They are on my lap in the picture and they belong to my bf's room mate. They are actually on the couch with me right now hopping around because I am taking care of them for the weekend. HAHA the brown one just jumped clear over the white one's head..they are so sweet I really hope the room mates learn to care for them :?

For the time being just make sure they have lots of fresh hay. And your roomate (or you, since you seem to care more than they do!) need to have them sexed to make sure you don't have a boy and girl there... because if they can't take care of two adorable babies I doubt they'll have much interest in 7... or 10... etc etc.

Well done you for taking care of them and researching how to look after them. Be careful though, you'll fall in love... and won't be able to part with them. The little white one is too adorable for words!!!

Back