• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Biscuit update: Spinal injury :s

Cookie&Twix

Alpha Buck
OMG, biscuit is really ill. I though he was quiet so checked on him, picked him up, he didn't struggle. i put him on the floor, he can barely walk, his balance is terrible, he isn't eating or drinking. tried syringing water in, but it is dribling out. What could it be. our vet doesn't have 24 hour access.

Sounds like he will have to see a vet tonight, you will have to go through the yellow pages and find one that does have 24hr care.

Sending vibes :D

Oh dear. Sorry I can't help much but just to say I am thinking of you. Could you try another vet practice's emergency number? I would try to keep him warm at the moment until you get a vet's advice.

When a bunny loses its balance, E Cuniculi is often suspected. Hopefully more people will be along to help soon

Sending vibes to little Biscuit

Fiona x

Try not to move him in case he has an injury especially if a spinal injury :( keep him warm too

it could be a potassium deficiency as in 'floppy rabbit syndrome' or a vitamin e deficiencey, either way you really need to get to a vet as quick as possible :( :( :(

I hope Biscuit improves real soon. Any chance finding a vet? Im trying to think who else is in your area who might be able to suggest one

There will be a 24hr vet somewhere in your area but the actual practice won't be open. You usually have to call and then they meet you there. Good luck xx

Wolverhampton have a 24 hour vets

take you less than an hour to get there

connaught house vet surgery

01902424725/726

the message should tell you an emergency line- 24/7 advice

QUICK QUICK[/b]

:cry: This doesn't sound good at all :( You have to get him to a vet asap - if it is floppy bunny syndrome then he needs potassium quickly.
Sending loads of vibes to Biscuit - xxxx

Biscuit is still with us this morning. I have taken him to the vet who can't find any obvious sign of illness and thinks it may be related to an injury. I explained that he got caught up in the kids football net 3 days ago, had it looped around his neck and really struggled. I saw him immediately and got him free and he seemed fine after a lengthy check over from me. The vet thinks he may have caused a bit of damage or swelling that is causing the weakness. She gave him a huge dose of steriods, would have been a large dose for a cat, but she wanted to be on the safe side anmd the side effects are that he should be more hungry and thirsty. I just have to keep doing what i am doing, keeping him warm, syringe feeding and turning him if he is on his side. We go back on Monday 9.30am if he makes it that long. I am not sure if what she has said is right or not as I have never seen this vet before and I don't know if she is rabbit savy.

I came down at 5.30 this morning and found Twix sitting on top of him and thought he had gone, but she was keeping him warm, bless her.

How often should I be syringe feeding ana how much? I am just doing it every few hours and as much as I can get hime to take, abuot 15-20ml at a time.

Please keep the vibes coming, they mean alot.

Poor Biscuit :cry:

Did your Vet suggest an X-ray if she suspects a spinal injury?

Is biscuit able to control his bladder? If he starts leaking wee he may need manual bladder expression (your Vet would need to do this and then show you how to)

Is Biscuit pooing? If not he should also have some Metoclopromide to try to keep his guts going. Has he shown any sign of improvement? A very large dose of steroids should have a rapid anti-inflammatory effect so I would certainly expect to see an increase in mobility by now.

With regards to the syringe feeds little and often in best so 10-20ml every couple of hours should be OK in the short term. Or 10ml every hour, although I appreciate this may be difficult. BUT if he is not pooing much then he really will need gut motility meds.

I hope that Biscuit shows some improvement now.

Janex

I could cry. He has just sat up and although wobbly he is up, has nibbled a little banana (and as I type has gone back to eating the rest) I have put in for him and has groomed a little. Hubby has gone to get some vitamin E tablets and some natural yoghurt and is trying to get a small jar of baby food in pumpkin or green veg. So far, he has not poo'd and had a manual bladder evacuation at the vets, but she did not offer to show me or offer gut stimulant even though i expressed that i was worried about his lack of poo :? :(

I hope he can hold on and fight to stay with us, I can't lose him too, he's just a baby, no age at all.

Cookie&Twix said:
I could cry. He has just sat up and although wobbly he is up, has nibbled a little banana (and as I type has gone back to eating the rest) I have put in for him and has groomed a little. Hubby has gone to get some vitamin E tablets and some natural yoghurt and is trying to get a small jar of baby food in pumpkin or green veg. So far, he has not poo'd and had a manual bladder evacuation at the vets, but she did not offer to show me or offer gut stimulant even though i expressed that i was worried about his lack of poo :? :(

I hope he can hold on and fight to stay with us, I can't lose him too, he's just a baby, no age at all.

I really think you need to contact the Vet again today to INSIST on some metoclopromide (via injection) If Biscuit is going to get better he needs all the supportive care possible. If he cant empty his bladder he will be very uncomfotable and at risk of secondary infection.

If he were my Rabbit this is what I would expect from my Vet

1 Supportive meds-Metoclopromide (to be administered via INJECTION every 6-8 hours as necessary)

2 Assurance that there is no spinal injury caused by a vertabral fracture (A Spinal X-ray done whilst Biscuit is awake). I assume the Vet did a full neurological examination-reflex responses etc???????????

3 A discussion as to whether EC is a possible factor. If so immediate treatment with Panacur (28 day course) and possibly Baytril to address secondary bacterial infection

4 Further discussion re Potassium deficiency being involved. Is a blood test indicated?

4 Clear instructions as to how to express his bladder if he cannot do so himself.

I would not leave the Vets surgery until all the above points were covered

Goodness, you must be so stressed. Poor Biscuit :cry:

Janex

Back