• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Restricted to hutch/run-is this cruel?

kayw1

Young Bun
My two rabbits live in an outdoor hutch which is 4ft by 3 ft by 3 ft. They have an attached run that is 7 ft by 3ft. They are locked at night from 10am then i open the hatch of the hutch so that they have free access all day to the run. I have seen many bunny owners bring their bunnies into the house for a run or free range in the garden. I can't bring them into the house for a run because i can never catch them and they get distressed wh3en i try to. I cant let them free into the garden because it is not secure and they would run through the hedge ionto the field behind me. Is it ok to just restrct them access to the hutch and run?

Hi, is the hutch 4ft wide? That is quite a short hutch for two buns, but its really good they have a nice long 7ft run! :wink: Is there any way you could let them have access to the run 24/7? Is there a particular reason why they are just in the hutch at night? And its really good you have 2 buns as they keep each other company. Perhaps if you post a photo of their combo people will be able to offer some more advice. x Jess :D

4x3 makes it the same floor space as a 6x2 foot hutch :D
With that good sized run I would say that is fine for them. In ther winter its not a great idea to bring them inside anyway because of the temperature changes and lots of people (including me) aren't able to let them go free range in the garden. As long as you try and give them as much attention as you can they should be fine. Also its a good idea to try and change things around in their accomodation from time to time to give them something new to explore; different toys, boxes, a tray of something to dig in - anything that will stimulate them.

I have a hutch/run i bit like that(i think anyway!),for my piggies.

There is a ramp leading down to the run,but they seem to like the hutch more than the run :shock: :? .They have all day access to the run but hardly ever go out, hopefully it will get better in the summer. I take out the ramp at night around 6:30 pm as it gets dark and i can't see! :oops: I have to put a huge stone on the wooden cover, for the hole, incase an animals gets into the run,some how, and tries to get my piggies.We have seen foxes around where we live, Dickens Heath.. :shock: .

I don't think it is crule.Are they big rabbits?Is the hutch small(no good with measurments sorry!)The pigs seem fine and feel most safe.

Or is your story different to mine?

Amyx

Doh, and me a teacher! :lol: simple maths is a bit beyond me at the mo, have had a very long and hard half term and just had a bombshell dropped at work so not thinking straight! Well worked out spacegirl! :wink:

Hi thanks for your comments. They are dwarf lops so they are not huge and i think they like the width of the hutch so that they can move back when they don't want any attention and the hutch is 4 ft long and 3 ft wide!!. The reason why i lock them in the hutch at night is because my house backs onto a field and my neighbour walks his dog in the early hours and tells me that he sees foxes around. i am terriified of them seeing a fox becuase i have heard of rabbits dying of shock. I cover them at night in they hutch so they cant't see out and put a board up. When they are out, I have my outdoor light on and i alwauys check on them from time to time.

Amy, i think my hutch sounds exactly like yours. It has a ramp leading to the run but i don't have to remove it. They seem to like sitting in the hutch more rthan the run although in summer, they eat , sleep and play in the run"!!

kayw1 said:
Amy, i think my hutch sounds exactly like yours. It has a ramp leading to the run but i don't have to remove it. They seem to like sitting in the hutch more rthan the run although in summer, they eat , sleep and play in the run"!!

Aww!I'm hoping my piggies will be like that!In the summer i will leave it down longer and maybe leave it down the whole night. :D

Pearl fell down the whole once when there was a loud bang :cry: .It was lateish at night and i was putting the cover in.She came out of the sleeping compartment, stood next to the whole,was about to run back, and a loud bang came.Poor pearl fell backwards but landed on her feet,in the run. Checked her over she was fine,just a little shaken! :shock: :roll:

I was scared that she would never use the ramp again, and it had taken them ages,specaily pearl, to have the courage to go up and down the ramp.Misty learn't quite quick, Pearl took ages.But she didn't seem at all fussed buy her fall and just paused once half way down the ramp! :)

Opps sorry went off topic there! :oops: :D

I don't really need to remove the ramp but the pigs are small and wouldn't put up much of a fight if threatend by a fox :( , where as a rabbit would! :) I may leave it down in the summer as it gets dark later.

Amy
xxxx

I think your set up sounds great for two dwarf lop buns especially the 7foot run! If you know there are foxes around I think it's best to be on the safe side and lock them away at night, stops you worrying too!! :D

Back