• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

After neutering

Netti

New Kit
We just picked Knight and Honey Bun up from getting Neutered. Honey Bun is a 7 months old white rabbit and Knight is a 4 months old black bunny. They are both eating and seem fine. But I looked at Honey Bun's wound and he has blood around the surgery area. Is this normal? I mean I know he just had surgery, so I guess it is..But I got very very nervous now. Knight doesn't have blood around it...but Honey Buns surgery wound looks bad, of course I don't know how it is supposed to look. How do I know if there is something wrong with it? How is it supposed to look?
Thanks!
Oh and Honey Bun is now licking it or maybe biting it, I don't know i can't see. Is it ok is he licks the wound?

If you are really worried I would call your vet for advice, even if only to re-assure yourself. It is a worry when you take pets for ops!

That said, as long as it isn't fresh blood, I would have thought that it is just a little that hasn't been cleaned off. As for licking, well, I guess as long as it is just licking, that would be OK.

It's a while (2 years) since my male was neutered, his wound was fine but he had some swelling there for a couple of days.

The best thing to do is to make sure they have plenty of their favourite foods to eat, lots of water available and are sleeping on something non-prickly like a towel or old duvet.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable then me will help too!

i thought theo was biting his would when really he was licking disinfectant off.

its best to let them clean it themselves but provide a distraction - something to destroy- fave veg etc.

as long as its not bleeing anymore.

best thing to do (and this is a good tip) hold their fave veg high and when stand on their back legs to reach it then get a glimpse underneath

If HoneyBun's wound looks worse that Knights(they had the same op didn't they?) then I'd give the vet a ring and ask.

Netti said:
Thanks everyone!

HEY CAPEL! Thanks so much, great website!!!
It is. There are so many people on here who can help..it's fantastic to have their input and advice, and those who don't have answers just come along to give moral support... :D Just FAB

Back