• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does this mean teeth problems for the rest of his life?

Bonniebunny

Warren Scout
Hi
I've just got back from the vet with my little rescue bun who is only 20wks old and I've had him 3 weeks. He had his myxi vac, and whilst there the vet said she would check him out. She looked in his mouth and said he has the beginning of a molar spur, but not enough yet for her to warrant going in and sorting it out but for me to keep a very close eye on it and let her check regularly.

I asked her how a 20wk old bun could have the beginnings of teeth problems so soon. She said it could be down to poor feeding in the early weeks of life. She said she has a particular interest in bunnies and especially their teeth. She explained all about early development of the jaw and said to just keep feeding lots of hay. My bun lives on a bed of hay and only has very few A&P pellets a day with fresh veggies. Since joining RU I have got lots of good feeding advice am following it rigorously!

As this spur has developed so early on, does this now mean a lifetime of dental problems for this little bun, or could it ever be rectified by me continuing a good diet. I feel very disappointed and worried for the little bunny as I lost Bonnie a few weeks ago and she had terrible teeth. (she was a rescue bun). Is there any long term hope?

On the plus side of this visit, I think my vets have finally got a rabbit savvy vet, which has given more confidence to use them.

Any advice or experiences appreciated? Thanks.

xx

As long as he is eating fine and shows no signs of pain- theres no cause for concern.

Some cats have 3 legs and function fine.

As long as hes healthy i dont see why he should have frequent treatment

Only time will tell really. Everytime one of my rabbits visits the vet they comment he has the beginning of a spur but that's been there for the last 3+ years and never needed treatment. I imagine if he had a bad diet that would cause him problems but he eats mostly hay and that seems to keep it in check.

It's possible the same will work for your rabbit and that you can control it with diet rather than anything to drastic. It really depends how far out of proper alignment the teeth are. Sometimes the best diet in the world won't help if the teeth just don't line up right.

Tamsin

A lot will depend on how bad his teeth naturally are. Hopefully, as he is on an 80-90% hay diet, he will be grinding down his teeth so it won't be a problem. I know people who have successfully switched buns with teeth problems to 100% hay to make sure they are using them all the time.

None of this will make much of a difference if his teeth are naturally misaligned though - something that you will only find out with time.

Keep a close eye on his eating. Any reduced appetite and take him straight to the vet for a tooth check.

Aw bless him. Sure it will be fine. Must be early enough for him to get it sorted now that he has a better diet.

I think that my OWN bad feeding in my bunnies' earlier days have caused all the problems I have with them now :cry: :cry: But suppose I'll never know.

Photos please!!!!!

Fiona x

My bunny had the beginnings of a spur a few years ago when she was prob only about a year or so old - but I increased her hay intake and touch wood no problems since. They checked her teeth when she was neutered in November last year and they were fine so I think I caught it quickly!

But I do also have a bunny with dental problems and as she was about 2 years when I took her on and a stray I don't know what she was fed when she was young. She has to have her incisors burred every month and has very few molars on her bottom jaw (so prob time for another dental soon!) But it is def manageable especially with a very good vet.

I hope that increased hay will prevent your bunny from having any more problems!

Nicola

My dental bun Fiver only developed spurs a couple of months ago, turns out he hasnt been eating hay, so we are now on a mission to improve his diet, made harder as he also suffers with UTI's and must have a low calcium intake.

We reckon it will be every 3 months he will need dentals but some rabbits, where the problem is diet related, can go up to and over 6 months between. :D

The answer is definitely a no. Goofball has 4 very long molar back in Aug. 2006 but once removed, hasn't come back since.

It depends, you'll just have to wait and see, Clove had to have hers grinded down last year and hasn't had a problem since. Just keep an eye out for dribbling when eating or really slow eating. Hopefully bun bun will be fine!

Back