• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The London 11! - U/D advice please

Fairy13

Wise Old Thumper
Hi. This is the story of 11 little buns that I picked up yesterday. Mumbun was living with her 5 babies in a box of about 1.5ft square, and Dadbun in the same again with the 4 3 month old babies.

It was a really sad situation where the young girl had desperately wanted a pet and the family had scraped together £70 to buy a bunny each for their daughters. 1 wanted a boy and the other a girl and some breeder had sold them that, a boy and a girl bun for £70 :evil: :evil: :evil:

The family had no previous experience at all of any animal I doubt and I just don't think they realised how quickly the babies would keep on coming. The youngest buns now with us are 2 weeks old and the eldest are 3 months and there was a litter of 3 inbetween but they died.

I and a friend went to pick them up yesterday and, I won't go in to detail but it was extremely humbling. Nevertheless the young girl owner had done her best I believe with what she had available to her. They had hay, food and veg but just too little. Esp Mumbun, she is very underweight and her fur has started to fall out. My vet says because her body has put all its energy into being pregnant and feeding the babies that it hasn't been able to maintain itself :cry: No sign of mites or mange.

Her she is:

IMG_0263.jpg

But there's nothing wrong that lots of food and exercise won't sort. The baby buns, here:

IMG_0262.jpg

will be looking for homes in 6 weeks or so so do let me know if you're interested in one!

Dad is a lovely bun in not bad condition, just needs more space and food, here he is;

IMG_0252.jpg

and finally here's the 4 3 month old babies, all boys. They're very small for their age but have been checked by my vet and although tiny they are that old! Their bits have descended :oops:

IMG_0254.jpg

They're very underweight too esp. a very tiny one who has also had his hip dislocated at some point but its healed lopsided and now cant be corrected but it doesn't cause him any pain he's just a bit. . uneven! They came for a run round the lounge today and binkied everywhere!

It was really emotional picking them up. Their young owner was not a bad or cruel person, just naive and ill advised. It was obvious she'd done her absolute best with what she had and loved them very much. They couldn't understand how they'd paid so much for the original two and yet they were not worth really anything now. (they initially were asking £400 for them, thats what drew them to my attention) I ended up paying £100 for them (I dont regret it for one instant), and believe me it wasnt a money making scheme, I've no doubt that money wont go on more buns, but essentials.

So really I just feel really sad about it and the only person I'm furious with is whoever sold her that girl and boy bun in the first place. (i'm going to try and find out) which I guess comes back to the old breeding debate again. Obviously reputable breeders wouldn't dream of selling an uneutered buck and doe but how can it be regulated?

I hope I haven't bored you with our story. It was really was a very sad and humbling evening yesterday.

Faye x x

Faye, well done for picking these bunnies up. They are so tiny and the mother looks so thin. Its a sad story, but lets hope for some loving homes for them.

I agree, well done you for taking these bunnies on. A very sad story, but the buns looks lovely, if all small and underweight/malnourished. I am sure in your care they will all flourish

What a sad story. Hope the family were happy that the rabbits would be finding good homes. They are lovely bunnies - I live dad!

I've had a call from the owner. She says her friend has just handed her a bunny she doesn't want. Apparantly its another dutch cross. (whats curoius is when i first spoke to her week beginning I could have sworn she said there were 5 in the three month old litter and yet only 4 were there when I picked up. Could it be one of those? Anyway she's asking what could i give her for it (moneywise) So. what do i do?

1. Is the best thing is to explain to her I cant give her anymore money for them. But I would take it. And see if she agrees.

2. Or not do anything but then I know how it will be being kept.

or

3. Just give her a tenner take the bun but tell her absolutely no more.

or anything else I havent thought of (i guess there is RSPCA but i dont have much faith in them)

What do you think. I really do think they are really living on the bread line. No widescreen tvs or anything like that. The house was completely bare.
What say you all?

advice

The young girl has just learned that failing to keep her animals properly has rewarded her with £100. It doesn't seem very surprising that given this was clearly a successful strategy, she will repeat it. It is up to you whether you wish to reinforce this behaviour.

I am aware of that. I made that choice and I did what I thought was best for those bunnies you've seen above. I asked for advice for people who wish to give it to me.

I am so glad you got these bunnies out of there :thumb: I think if it was me I would say you would love the other bunny but dont have enough cash right now. Its all up to you, maybe if that last bunny is out there wont be a chance of anymore babies. £5 wouldnt hurt my heart rules my head :oops:

Why don't you tell her that you are unable to give her any money for the rabbit since you will have so many financial commitments from all the others (does she realise how much they will cost you?) but you are very happy to take it and provide it with a great home, vet care etc. If she is happy to hand him over then great. If she saysno then you can always change your mind later and go back and offer her a small amount if you feel you should. I think its at least worth asking if you can get it for nothing. Make clear to her all the costs you will encur and all the possible vet fees if they should become ill etc.

Thanks spacegirl that is what I've done. I've also posted this in rabbit welfare as I guess thats what its turned into. I've told her I can give her no more money for them but will take it and care for it if they want. They say they are going to think it over. I have meanwhile phoned the RSPCA and they are going to send someone round there to check on that bunny., based on what I have seen and the condition of the bunnies i have already taken from there.

Well done for saving these.and think you've done the right thing in reporting the other one.
Please think about neutering the babies before you rehome them..this will stop accidents like this happening again.
Keepig fingers crossed that the mum-bun makes a full recovery :D

well done .

i think most cases where the animals suffer come down to people not knowing any better ....the cases of intended cruelty are far fewer ....unfortunatly for the animals ...in this case these poors bunnies . ...the outcome is the same intended or not .

i think you did well to get them ...but i also think you did right to say you wernt paying any more for the other . i hope the RSPCA do go out it might just shake them up a bit .

poor bunnies . :(

I had an inspector phone me this morning, I've told her the whole thing from beginning to end and she's going to go over hopefully today and speak to them about it and also check if there is another bunny there. She said she'd keep me posted on the outcome. Thanks for the support, I'm such a worrier and constantly worry wether I've done the right thing so its nice to know others, rightly or wrongly, would have done the same. Thank you x x

This is the little lobsided one. He is now known as Hector, chosen by my other half who has well and truly fallen for him in a big way!

IMG_0278.jpg

Isn't he just gorgeous?! And so tiny!! :D

Back