• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping shed cool in summer

**Bonnie**

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I may be a little premature here but I am thinking about the summer and heat when you have rabbits living in a shed.

My two buns now live in a 6x6 shed which they love. At the moment there is just the standard windows with perspex but hoping soon (when brother gets round to it!) to make another door which is just mesh so they can see out/let air in.

Would this set-up be ok on a hot summer's day? Unfortunately I cannot have a run attached (shed is raised and no room either side)

Will they bake? I really don’t wanna have to move them now as its so nice in their shed!

thanks

I have exactly the same problem except we could attach a run but the shed gets so hot in summer, I really don't know what to do, whether to move them across the garden into a run during the day and back to the shed at night or whether to move them out completely into a hutch/run for the summer.

Do you have electricity to the shed? If so you can put fans in, unfortunately we don't and it's too expensive to put in.

Bonnie

What about insulating the shed particuarly the roof with the silver radiator foil? You can also do the walls but you will need to be careful as both the buns may try and destroy it. The extra insulation will keep it warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.

I have a shed which is really thick and it keep the extremes of temperature down in both directions.

Could your brother alter the windows to make them into mesh, you could then cut up and use the perspex to put over the mesh windows when it rains or is cold.

Another idea would be to cut a hole in two of the sides which have covers on them to stop the draught in the cold wet weather but could be removed in the hot weather to allow a through draught.

mine have their own air con unit :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

last summer everywhere was sold out and we brought the last one in b&q - it was ment for us but the rabbits come first :wink:

We got our one a few weeks later - when all they had left were the expensive ones :roll: - tiz good tho :D

Thanks a lot

I was thinking about insulation on the roof, but def couldn't have it insite as Alfie will chew it all!

It’s a new house I am in, we have a south facing garden and the shed is at the back so I am hoping the trees will shade it.

Surely a shed gets as hot as a hutch though..?!?

I reckon I will just do the door and maybe a couple of windows as suggested.

Thnaks you

missblondebunny - are ur buns in a shed? If so anychance u could post a pic of the unit in the shed please? i to dont know what to do in the summer and i thought fans would just blow the hay around everywhere and was thingking of an air con unit but dont know how or where to have it in the shed??

Sue
xx

I have a space blanket which I attach to the outside of the shed. It reflects the heat really well and is quick and easy to put on, it has metal reinforced eyelets which i just hook on small hooks. It can also be moved as the sun moves round! :wink:

Luckily my shed is behind another shed and under trees so it doesn't get that hot - but my dad built a mesh door behind the wooden door to the shed so that I can open the shed door every day enabling light and air to flow through. The window on my shed is right next to the trees so not much good for light or air! I also put frozen bottles of water in with her when it is really hot and tiles that have been in the fridge.

Nicola

Where did you get your space blanket with hooks please?

This is a very old thread and it looks like the poster who posted about the space blanket hasn’t been on here in a while. Hopefully others will have some ideas

Hi all,

I may be a little premature here but I am thinking about the summer and heat when you have rabbits living in a shed.

My two buns now live in a 6x6 shed which they love. At the moment there is just the standard windows with perspex but hoping soon (when brother gets round to it!) to make another door which is just mesh so they can see out/let air in.

Would this set-up be ok on a hot summer's day? Unfortunately I cannot have a run attached (shed is raised and no room either side)

Will they bake? I really don’t wanna have to move them now as its so nice in their shed!

thanks

I'd say paint the shed roof white and outdoor walls white. This will reflect the suns rays. If you have a black roof this will just absorb heat making it hotter inside. Take out the plexiglass from the windows and replace it with wire mesh, make sure there is good air flow.

Back