• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

stu will NOT eat anything

stu

New Kit
Hi stu is doing better but we still have the eating problem. we have tried everything hay grass herbs baby food science recovery fruit veg socked pellets everything he just turns his headaway. he had had antibiotics for the bladder infection and is on regular pain killers since the op monday. we are syringe feeding 2 hourly but he hates it and it is becoming a strugle any sujjestions? how long can a rabbit survive on syrige feeds. I can imagine him eating on his own again as he acts as if he is repulsed by any food.

Poor Bun :cry:
Has he poo'd at all?
Is he on oral meds?
I think he really needs to be seen by the Vet again as it would appear that his pain control is not adequate. Also, it may be better to administer the meds via injection as this will be less likely to cause GI disturbance.

Your Vet may want to include an anti gastric ulcer medication (Ranitidine or Cimetidine) as if Stu has been anorexic and is on ORAL Metacam he is at high risk of GI ulceration.

I hope your Vet can help Stu feel more comfortable. It must be so stressful for you :cry:

Janex

they DO turn their head away when force feed w/ baby food. Even 2 - 3 weeks after my bunny has GI stasis, she still turn her head away when force feed w/ baby food. But w/ consistent effort, my bunny come out of it. It took a long time. That's the nature of rabbit, their digestive sys. is a sensitive (Not easy to treat) type.

Like Jane I would suggest getting a vet appointment. It does sound like you bun could do with a gut stimulant and also a pain killer if he is not already on it.

A bun can survive a few weeks being syringe fed, the important thing is that something is going into your buns digestive system and is coming out the other end.

Are you towel wrapping your bun, to reduce his ability to struggle while being fed.

Kate are you ok :?: this must be really stressful for you both :( :(

just a thought but has your vet checked out Stu buns teeth :?:

thanks.. been quite busy with stu. still syringe feeding, back and forwards to the vets. will update you tomorrow...

stu is much better now and has formed an appetite for cardboard and paper and that alone! HAs hopped about a bit this morning and the poo blockage is - fingers crossed - over.

We're still not sure what it was all about but yesterda he was borderline stasis, a new vet reviewed everything, decided to do an xray and there was no blockage so no new ideas. Except parafin and vitamins, plus more antiulcer and pain drugs..

Last night he was fighting the syringe again but in the middle of the night he seemed perkier and by this morning he wanted to venture out of the hutch, and we found a slight nibble on some broccoli and a small poo.

The vitamin water/baby food goes down well, especially if warm, and the combination of parafin and cardboard is probably keeping the guts moving. He was seen today with his face in the food bowl but still refuses all food. He will accept a piece of cardboard and eat it whilst refusing absolutely everything else!

thanks again for all the help and advice (and thanks too from Hannah, Stu's 'mum')

Hope he gets better soon. Parafin sorted Bobby out when he refused to eat. Hugs to you and Stu.

:( Poor Stu, i hope he gets better soon!
best wishes(((((((((((((((((((vibes))))))))))))))))))))))))
Robyn, Flopsy and the backyard bunnies.........xxxxx

Back