• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bladder sludge...

TheGaffer

Mama Doe
I think either Moonshine or Flopsy might have a bit of bladder sludge.

There was a stray wee on some newspaper next to the litter tray earlier and it dried white on top. Am I right in thinking bladder sludge???

I feel bad cos I was reading a post earlier about foods high in calcium and mine all get Kale every day :oops: I thought Kale was OK to feed everyday.

anyway, is there anything I can do or give them? (apart from reduce foods high in calcium). Or is a vet trip required? I'm not sure which bun it is though!!

Many Thanks,

Nicola

I think bunny wee can dry pretty white any way (some people say it turns like glue if they pee on paper)!

I think you need to see what it looks like fresh! :oops: (maybe if you can get them to pee on a non absorbent surface).

I'd cut out all high calcium Veg (Kale, carrot-tops, Broccoli, Parsley, Spinach) All Alfafa foods are a no-no too.

Veg low in calcium include Brussel sprouts, Celery, Rommaine Lettuce, Carrots, Cucumber

Trying to up the Buns fluid intake would be good so serving any veg still quite wet from rinsing is useful.

Just keep a watch out for any more sludgey wee. If when you run a finger through it (SORRY :mrgreen: ) it feels 'gritty' I would take the Buns to the Vet to get their bladders examined.

Hopefully dietry modification will put things right :)

Janex

Also, other than calcium, kale is an oxalate which can be toxic in high amounts, like spinach, and should never be fed more than 2-3 times a week. :wink:

Hope your bun is ok! :) Keep us updated

Back