• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Swollen Plumbs :( U/D He's eating Properly!

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
I had Marley and Codey neutered on Tuesday and now Marley plumbs look very swollen, as in not like deflated balloons, which in my experience is what a neutered bucks bits tend to look like.

I have started him on Baytril and Metacam in case of infection but does anyone know of another reason this might happen? He hasnt been at the stitches.

Its not been a good week :(

Thats what Fudge looked like...... His antibiotics didn't work :( ...
They removed the swelling and infection and he looks great now.
The vet seemed to think he'd pulled at his stiches though :(

Thanks Tracie.

Karen- I wiped a little blood away but his stitches are still intact. I have him on 0.4ml Baytril twice daily and 4 drops Metacam once daily. What was fudge on?

There was a little blood from Fudges swollen plum.. Only one though the other was fine...
He was 0.8ml Baytril for 5 days but it didnt do nothing for the swelling, I'd thought it had but that was just wishful thinking...

If there is no improvement in the next coupe of days we will go back to the vets.

Was it 0.8ml once a day or twice? Im going to bath them in a bit too. Poor little lad Im the wicked witch at the moment :(

Codey is but Marley is my special bunny. He lives with me in the house as my companion rabbit.

Harley was my special bunny too, I cant bear it that they have both suffered this week.

:cry:

Biscuit's plums were quite swollen at first but he had complicationss during his op. The swelling lasted about a week, but not bad enough for the vet to want to intervine and it did resolve itslef without causing any problems to Biscuit, who seemd his usual chipper self. He is still bruised however and it was 3 weeks ago now. Poor boy.

Personally I would take Marley back to the Vet today as there may be some internal bleeding going on :? I dont think I'd want to leave things without a Vet check what with it being the weekend.

Poor lad, hope his sore plums are soon better

Janex

This happened to one of my fosters (Biggles - rehomed by Jill). Vet gave him antibiotics & pain relief, but we did have to go back a couple of times to be checked

They are going down a bit now. I have been bathing them with salt rock water to sooth them and wipe away any blood. The incision is so tiny, there are only a couple of stitches. Vet said to bring him back Monday if they are still swollen then.

Im still not happy with him so we are booked into the vets at 6pm, earliest appointment they had :( .

Good vibes please.

Jack's-Jane said:
Sooz22 said:
Im still not happy with him so we are booked into the vets at 6pm, earliest appointment they had :( .

Good vibes please.

Sending plum soothing vibes

Janex

Much appreciated, I will apply them now Lol :lol:

Marley ahd his check up last night and it is apparently an infection, Anita said I did the right thing by starting him on baytril and metacam, I have to continue this for a week.

Apparently part fo the problem was the disproportional size of his plumbs to his body.....he was the largest of all the rabbits they did on Tuesday and one of those was a French Lop!!!! Marley is a tiny Dutch!

However he is only eating greens, any tips for getting some fibre down him? I have been warned that he could go into stasis very easily....I probably should have got some probiotics too...

Back