• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Naughty bunnies....guess who's worked out where the food is!

Caz

Mama Doe
I had forgotton how naughty house bunnies can be, outside they just don't show their ingenuity off! But since Pierre has settled in their personalities have really come out.

Hmm I can smell the food its up there somewhere...

jump.jpg

Oh so close - drat...

jump2.jpg

Pierre quickly found where the pellets are kept and then proceeded to try and jump onto the filing cabinet! Sadly it was too slippy to get a grip and he slid back down again - several times. :lol:

He also jumped onto my lap as I sat at the computer - not sure who scared who when he realised where he was and I suddenly found myself with a lap full of bunny! He has also mastered the stairs and found a taste for skirting!

Plus they have been having laps round their new dog crate home - onto the second floor, leap off onto the study floor, back into the crate and up the ramp onto the second floor and round again :roll: !

dogcrate.jpg

Adele has also developed a taste for learning - she ate my thesaurus after jumping onto the bookcase to reach it!

They are quite loved up now:

PandA2.jpg

Caz

What beautiful bunnies! They look lovely together. And that picture of him perching on the end of the cupboard :shock: Cheeky bunster!
Lovely to hear and see their antics :D

Wow they are hotties. I love your second floor. Was it difficult to do? How hard is it to take down again?

Caz they look BRILLIANT together :D

Now can you please tell me how you fixed the upstairs bit in the crate :?
Would a D-I-Y Numpty like me be able to do something similar :?

Janex

awwwwww Caz sounds like these buns are bringing you much joy and it is such a happy ending for the sad year you had :(

I love their indoor pad it is fantastic and they look totally in love :love:

I look forward to more updates/pics :thumb:

aaawww they make such a beautiful pair :D :D Pierre sounds like he is going to be up to mischief alot :lol: :lol: That photo of him leaping for the pellets is brilliant!! :lol: :lol:

Jack's-Jane said:

Janex

I did the most of it myself - just needed OH to do the sawing as I can't saw straight but if you go to most big DIY stores for a small fee they will saw the wood you buy from them to whatever size you want.

We used half a door from the bathroom upstairs that had to be replaced - it was the perfect width already (30")- just needed to be sawn in half to get the 48" length. Then where it had panels in (Georgian style door) we knocked out one of the top smaller panels carefully using a chisel and this gave a perfect sized opening - with a normal piece of wood you could just cut out one corner (easy) or use a jigsaw to cut out a hole in the middle (more fiddley).

The bottom of the door that we had to discard had one broken panel but still had one good panel which we carefully removed as it was the perfect size to make the ramp.

Then to put it in the crate we used 2x1" pieces of timber (baton basically) we had left over which nicely fitted in the 2" wide slots of the dog crate from right to left. We opened one end of the dog crate (flapped whole side down) and put the shelf in then reattached the side. I then held the shelf up using the hole and one edge while OH quickly pushed three pieces of 52" 2x1" through the holes in the dog crate at the height I wanted (thin side first) then he twisted them so they squeezed into the 2" gaps and locked in- these stick out two inches either side to ensure support . Two on either side and one straight down the middle. This does mean you can't use the door on the end of the dog crate the only one available is the front door.

I then lowered the shelf on top of them. You could then screw it down to the supports but we didn't bother as the door we used is too heavy to slide and fits into the dogcrate with very little room to move anyway.

To attach the ramp I used picture hooks - they have a flat back which you can screw into the underneath of the ramp (make sure the screws don't poke through) then it hooks nicely onto the side of the dog cage. I then screwed some baton on as steps (from underneath again) and glued some old carpet on the ramp for grip and fitted it - took Pierre an hour to work out the ramp - took Adele two days :oops: !

IsabelM said:
How hard is it to take down again?

I can just unhook the ramp, pull out the baton and take the shelf back out the side of the crate again before folding down the crate. I would say 10-15 minutes max but my shelf is pretty heavy and does need two pairs of hands - one to support it whilst the other removes the batons.

Caz

Caz said:
Jack's-Jane said:

Janex

I did the most of it myself - just needed OH to do the sawing as I can't saw straight but if you go to most big DIY stores for a small fee they will saw the wood you buy from them to whatever size you want.

We used half a door from the bathroom upstairs that had to be replaced - it was the perfect width already (30")- just needed to be sawn in half to get the 48" length. Then where it had panels in (Georgian style door) we knocked out one of the top smaller panels carefully using a chisel and this gave a perfect sized opening - with a normal piece of wood you could just cut out one corner (easy) or use a jigsaw to cut out a hole in the middle (more fiddley).

The bottom of the door that we had to discard had one broken panel but still had one good panel which we carefully removed as it was the perfect size to make the ramp.

Then to put it in the crate we used 2x1" pieces of timber (baton basically) we had left over which nicely fitted in the 2" wide slots of the dog crate from right to left. We opened one end of the dog crate (flapped whole side down) and put the shelf in then reattached the side. I then held the shelf up using the hole and one edge while OH quickly pushed three pieces of 52" 2x1" through the holes in the dog crate at the height I wanted (thin side first) then he twisted them so they squeezed into the 2" gaps and locked in- these stick out two inches either side to ensure support . Two on either side and one straight down the middle. This does mean you can't use the door on the end of the dog crate the only one available is the front door.

I then lowered the shelf on top of them. You could then screw it down to the supports but we didn't bother as the door we used is too heavy to slide and fits into the dogcrate with very little room to move anyway.

To attach the ramp I used picture hooks - they have a flat back which you can screw into the underneath of the ramp (make sure the screws don't poke through) then it hooks nicely onto the side of the dog cage. I then screwed some baton on as steps (from underneath again) and glued some old carpet on the ramp for grip and fitted it - took Pierre an hour to work out the ramp - took Adele two days :oops: !

Caz

Thank you :thumb:

I feel a 'project' coming on..... :p :p

Janex

Back