• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feel so guilty

Kezza30

Warren Veteran
Had to give Amber (2nd bun in sig) a bath tonight with stuff from PDSAand i don't think she liked it to much kept jumping and slipping. She was very calm when rinsing and drying and when she did a doggy style dry i was throughly wet myself :lol: but she looked nervous and scared and didn't move from the spot on the floor where she was gently wrapped in a towel. :(

Is it normal when you wash a rabbit to go balder and really skinny, her legs are like pencils :? and she had more bald patches than before i could also see the red markings and she had some skin come off when drying that looked like mites. I'm not dissing the PDSA as they do a great job for people unable to afford it but it would have been nice for my mam to actually speak to them so i think it might be worth getting another appointment with my vet no that i get paid tommorow atleast i can take the babies aswell then.

I thought that to clean a bunny you should just wipe them with baby wipes or a warm damp cloth then dry them. my vet told me never to give a rabbit a proper bath, like putting them in water

Mites can be treated with ivermectin which is drops/injection on the back of the neck. I was given shampoo when I first had bunnies, it will work but it's not the most practical treatment.

Tam

Yeah i had noticed to night and since she is already a skittish rabbit to begin with it was hard and now i feel guilty for putting her through it knowing she ddin't like it. Luckily it's a once a week thinng so next week and then back to the PDSA to see how shes doing but i'm thinking of taking them to my vets as i don't know if its normal but when shes wet she has twiggy legs :shock:

i have never needed to bath a bun, but i have bathed my long haired cat.
when he is wet to the skin he looks like he has been starved with little bony skinny legs :shock: :lol: :lol:
i would imagine a bun would be similar :wink:

Aww bless your cat, thats what she looked like poor thing. I had to bath her with the stuff from the PDSA but i've heard of the stuff you put on the back of there necks and since my mam explained that shes a very scared rabbit and is scared of people stroking her although she can sit content sometime why they didn't give that stuff instead rather than putting Amber through something she ddin't like. :( I wish i knew about the other stuff or i would have mentioned it but only found out after Tamsin posted. Well shes sitting contently with some veggies now and i've opted to leave her be for tonight :D

Caz said:
Here is what a giant looks like post-bath:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=2205

Caz

:lol: your bun looks as though he really enjoyed his bath. She's looking more fuller now, guess all animals look super skinny after baths :lol: Alhough it says bathe in the stuff once a week and she wants to see her again on Friday will there really be any change in her condition. Also if it's mites and the babies are the same isn't she just going to catch mites again from them. :?

Back