• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Argh! What to do with a boggy mess of a lawn!

bissli

Alpha Buck
Hiya! I moved my two buns into their playhouse a couple of weeks ago and they love it. I've been wanting to attach a run to it since the beginning but it seems pointless at the moment because the playhouse has slowly become surrounded by a boggy mess (mostly my fault for churning up the grass by visiting them so often). There literally isn't a single blade of grass left where the run is supposed to go! I can't put paving down because my parents don't want to lose anymore of their grass, and because I really wanted the buns to have access to grass! Should I sow grass seeds and wait for there to be lush grass all around the playhouse, or should I just put a run on, even though the rabbits probably wouldn't like going out onto thick sticky mud? I feel mean that they haven't got access to a run right now, but I don't know what to do for the best!

I wouldn't worry too much at the moment if you don't have pristine lawn for them. At the moment the weather is too cold to put down lawn seed, it won't germinate at the moment. I would leave this until March when the weather should hopefully warm up. If you want to have them out on the mud it wont do them any harm.

My husband made a large enclosure/run around the buns poppy house over the xmas break. By the time he was finished the grass was a muddy mess..
Most of the area is slabbed and the grass area we used bark.
We had to get the run up quick as the bunny we had was a foster bun that had lived in a tiny hutch all his life :( is was really important to us to get him stretching his legs... We now have kept our foster bun and got him a ladybun :D

Maybe you could put some hardboard down on the grass when visiting them in future to save the grass getting churned through the winter months.

Spring is a good time to start your preparations for a lush lawn :D

Or stepping stones!

Also try forking the ground and sprinkling in some sharp sand to help with drainage (also helps the ground in preparation for when you resow the lawn). :D

Im waiting for the growing until March/April to see if my grass comes back again before putting seed down.

Back