• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor bunny housing

mumofthumps

Alpha Buck
I am thinking of getting a girly bun for thumper, and was wondering what the indoor bunny housing should be like size wize for 2 buns. Th epictur ebelow shows thumps in his cage and the size of it but i dont think itssuitable for 2 buns, he has the run of the house form 5 o clock until ten and all day atthe weekends we are trying tosort out our spare room for him full time with a run. Are there any cages which cater for 2 bunnies? or do you need to have two seperate ones - and if there are 2 seperate ones will they be able to bond? Ive seen alovely bun called flower who i think thumper would adore but obviously want their home to be perfect :) Any help would really be appreciated! Thanks Thumps and Sara :)
100_0015.jpg

Hi there,

We have 2 indoor buns and they live in a dog crate with a run/pen attached for permanent access.

Good luck with your future purchase

TRacey x

I've just got a dog crate off ebay, it arrived the next day and they are really cheap compared to the high street

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Pet-Europe

If you do a search you should find loads of pics of dog crates used as bun homes, you can put an extra shelf in and attach a run

my two had a dog crate before i moved and gave them our spare bedroom. They also had some run panels attached to give them some more space when i was at work. Heres another good offer on a big dog crate
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELUXE-DOG-CA...ryZ20745QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I got a pet playpen off ebay too which was pretty cheap too :D

Shame you arent in London this is a real bargain if you could have collected it
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-new-dog...ryZ20745QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

22-Oct-2006010.jpg

this is my twos set up, it is a 48" crate with shelf and permanently attached run (the full size is approx 5.5ft x 4ft) they are only shut in it at night.

mine should hopefully be getting their own room soon but this set up has done them well and gives them plently of room to stretch out and binky about :D (even when they are free range they tend to stay in their cage...i think it is just more fun)

Jemma&Theo said:
wow- do they use that sand box?

yup it is their fave toy :D
they dig in it and on hot days will dig a little hole and flop heir bellies in to keep cool :lol: it started off as a small 20ish cm round shallow dish which has grown and grown to a 80cm x 50cm deep tub :lol: i tried them with soil but they prefer the child safe play sand :D

i also sometime put pellets in it and they dig and forage, dig and forage etc keeps them occupied for ages :lol:

For two bunnies the minimum area is really 5'x2' (with regular exercise in a larger area. Many people find that they like to give their bunnies a larger area all the time though as you're not always around to let them out at the same time they want to be out. So attaching a run is a good way to make extra room.

There is no rule to say you have to have a cage at all. A run or free access to a room and then just a box for hiding in is fine.

A dog crate, is basically a cage but dog sized - they don't have very deep trays though but lots of head height so you can add a shelf for extra floor area.

Once bonded, two rabbits share a cage/accomodation all the time so you don't need two cages. You might find it handy to have to seperate spaces when you first get a second rabbit whilst you introduce them. Some rescues will do the bonding for you though so you can bring them home and they go straight in together.

I've got mine in a dog crate too. I prefer to a cage because it's more open and more of a 'base' than a cage. Depends how big your second rabbit will be I guess. Mine are both mini's.

Mine are free range with a litter tray. Tilly and Humphrey used to have a crate indoors but the door was always open. ht

My two used to have a whole half of my room, but then I wanted some back!! They now have a dog crate which I bought off e-bay for around £30. And they love it, even when it's open, they'd rather sit in it than come out. It's their own little den, I made a shelf for it too, so it's on 2 levels.

Now
8fa40bca.jpg

b384b3ce.jpg

Before
room2.jpg

room6.jpg

Wow they all look fantastic! I think the dog crate idea looks brillaint and we have the indoor hutch already so may just get a run to attach to it for them duringthe day brilliant ive lots of ideas now! Thanks everybody! :) 8)

here is a website of cages I make... I have my cavies in it but numerous people have bought them for their buns. These are basicly for inside I guess if you live in a all year round warmer climate they could be for outdoors.... The playpens I thought of for indoor/ outdoor use because my lawn isn't the greatest and don't want my cavies traveling into wrong areas.

my website is www.petcondosplus.com and i also sell these on ebay under seller name Rickfolckemer.....

I do like the dog cage idea though...

Back