• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

E cuniculi positive blood test at 10% what now?

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
Hya Bif saw Petra last night and we are blessed that in no wya at all was it cancer of anysort..let alone cancer of the cervix as the other vet presumed it was. Her caecum was always full and soft and now it too is back to normal despite all the squishy poos!
Bifs liver levels were elevated but only a bit and she thinks that was from the blood taking in 3 diff spots on her neck. She says bif has fatty neck syndrome and reckons im right about her eating habits.
shes eating bertie share and shes always on the lookout for food unles shes ill..when we first got ehr from the rescue she ate as much food etc as youd put down..if she got into oscars section shed eat his too..when they were bonded she ate it all before he got a sniff..food veg fruit..hay..all gone like she wasnt getting anymore ever.
petra thinks it may well hark back to her days as a straving negelected bun..she always has the fear she wont get fed again :( weve had her a year on 27th march..i though shed have gotton over that by now.

The one worrying thing is she has indeed tested positive for EC at 10% so iasked petra if i should give her the panacur now that i got weeks ago whenbertie had his mot.
she said yes indeed.
dumb me was so shocked i forgot to ask dosgae and time..
i mean i know for buns with it its 20mg per kg for 28 days right? or am i wrong? so if shes just positve at 10% would i need to treat her for 28days too and as aprecaution treat bertie?
I was going to ring petra today but shes at pet doctors today and tomorrow..i think..so ill ring this afternoon to be sure but if anyone can advise meanwhile id be sooo greatful.

hi the dose is 0.2ml of panacur per kg of bun..and yes every day for 28 days..also do your other bunny if he's had contact with her or her area.
also thoroughly disinfect her area and all her toys..and bowls, litter trays ect. If you can buy new ones do.

good luck and so glad it wasn't cancer xx

Thought i jad it wrong! Thank you so much..im off online to get a bigger supply..berties just under 7kg!! :shock:
but hes on baytril right now for suspected UIT..will i have to wait till hes finished his baytril?

TBH that result is inconclusive - the ELISA only measures antibodies which could have built up from previous exposure not an active infection. A second blood test taken a couple of weeks after the first is needed to confirm a rising titre indicitive of an active infection - the blood test should be taken asap but treatment should also be started asap just in case it is an active infection.

There is some debate as to how many buns carry EC but are perfectly healthy - one study suggested nearly 50% but it may have been flawed.

Caz

I might be wrong but I understood from my vet that they take two lots of blood tests to confirm EC as they look for rising levels of EC antibodies to confirm a detromental case - as Caz said bunnies can carry it and not show any symptoms.

:( didnt get hold of petra..lot of other stuf going on..so i will ring monday to see when shes on next week.

maybe she said it didt warrant a repeat..maybe she did..i couldnt concetrate as id left home with a lot going on..im so thick!
she didnt think Bifs illness was related to EC she said it was severe traumatisation..losing oscar then the bloomin flood! if it wasnt for bertie she wouldnt be here now i can tel you..poor Bif...
would Ec manage to manifest itself as gi stasis ona regular basis..or is that mucooid thingy..
just its odd that oscar n bif got sick the same time and within 48hrs he was dead and she survived..her being bigger bun plus she still tried to eat some hay..he couldnt..and shes sufered gi stasis so often since and then the whole cancer scare..its her gut inflammaed etc from gi stasis and traumatisaion..

thats why i posted that link abut heathcliffe..the bunny who seemed to have EC and died..but the necropsy showed something to do with the caecum...but the symptoms were identical!

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=39655

Back