• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering a runt?

B

BRACKEN

Hi

I just wondered if anyone has any advice re neutering a runt bunny? I will ask my vet but wondered if anyone has any experience of this as I am not sure if the anaethestic would be ok.

I am 99% sure that my runt is a boy (He is nearly 10 weeks and his bits have taken a while to develop!)I wanted him to be a girl as he is bonded with mum, his sister and his dad(who is neutered). If I don't neuter him he will have to be separated which is a shame as he is such a character!

Any advice appreciated

Linda

How "runty" is he? Is he healthy? 10 weeks is not that old for his "bits" to first come in, I've usually heard of it happening around 3 months, later for larger breeds.

He's most likely too young to neuter right now, unless your vet is very experienced and confident. But if he has his bits he could impregnate his mom, so you'll have to separate him from the other buns ASAP. Once he's been neutered and given time to recover and allow the leftover sperm to die, you can reintroduce him.

Tilly-May was the runt of her litter, and she was fine under GA ... In fact up until recently, shes been tough as old boots! :) XXx

Sorry I didn't make it clear.

No he is not fully developed - I am only just being able to see the shape of his bits and see that he is a boy. Whilst I will see the vet for a full check up he appears fine - just everything is small. He is about two thirds the size of his brothers/sisters but with double the character!

Really I am just trying to think ahead - all my litter (unplanned) have found good homes and will have gone by this weekend except for 1 girl who still needs a home. I have a spare large cage that the runt can go in now I know he is a boy, can now be separated from mum and whilst he develops.

In theory as he is a boy I should find him a home but my heart says to keep him.

I'm pleased to hear of another runt who has had a GA. I will see what the vet says. If he says no then he may just have to live by himself until the two girls have been sorted.

BRACKEN said:
He is about two thirds the size of his brothers/sisters but with double the character!

Thats the exact same as Tilly! :) She was lots smaller than her sisters, and although shes still small, she's been a very healthy, tough bun :D Im pretty sure your runt will be fine to neuter when hes a bit older, if you have a good vet, then talk to him/her, s/he'll tell you whether its sensible or not to go ahead :D X

Back