• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Poor Marcy not well U/D Better now worse again :-(

Fionabun

Mama Doe
Poor little Marcy went off her food and I think she will need a dental tomorrow. Poor girl. She has had spurs twice before though there was a 3 month gap in between. This time she has just managed 4 and a bit weeks. Syringe feeding is going badly this time, normally my buns are excellent but she is so disinterested. She is having prepulsid, oral metacam and vetergesic injections to help her.

Marcy needs some vibes for tomorrow. I worry so much about all my little soldiers, but she is such a little poppet.

It is a conveyor belt of sick bunnies again for me. One gets better and the other gets sick.

Sumi had a dental last week and is doing fine. Nell picked up after 24 hours off her food last week (won't speak too soon though!) and now Marcy, their daughter.

AND....I have a gorgeous new bunny now that I haven't even had the chance to introduce to you all!!! He is a wee monkey and I hope you like him when I get a chance to upload some photos in between all this syringe feeding and meds.

Spare vibes for Marcy would be so much appreciated.

Fiona x

I nearly lost Marcy this morning.

I was a stupid fool yesterday and cancelled her dental as she had a little more of an appetite. Any extra day without GA is a bonus or so I thought. I coaxed her steadily with grass and bunny treats. She was eating just enough to see her through, or so I thought. Last night about 11pm she ate some kale, spring greens and a little more grass. She was also spotted eating some pellets, just a few but everything is a bonus I suppose. I had syringe fed her before this, not particularly successfully and given pain relief. She hadn't managed a lot of fluids but I was hopeful that the grass she had later would have helped that. So I went off to bed feeling safe in the knowledge that she had enough in her tummy and had sufficient pain relief and warmth.

I arrived in her run this morning just before 6am to find her flat out with an obviously aching/swollen tummy. She was very frail and her eyes were closed. Nell and Sumi were worried about her though in their efforts to clean her and get her back on her feet, Sumi was standing on her sore belly :( making her feel worse no doubt, though he warmed her up (by accident).

I whipped her off to the vet who wasn't feeling overly hopeful for her. I felt utterly disgusted with myself. She was in full blown stasis. There were poos in her cecum but her stomach was very distended.

She had sub-cut fluids and more pain relief and gut stimulant. My brave little girl managed to pull through from the dental I have just heard. I feel like I have let her down still though.

So I suppose the moral of the story is 1) trust your instincts 2)bunnies go downhill quickly 3)bunnies fool you into thinking they are feeling better 4)regular food and fluids (and meds) mean so much to a bunny's tummy.

I don't intend this to scaremonger people but I should have trusted my instincts and let her have the dental yesterday.

Fiona x

Oh Fiona, Im really sorry about Marcy, it must have been such a shock for you :(

I hope she picks up now and dont blame yourself, bunnies are natural inclined to make use believe they are healthy when they are sick, its a survival trait.

Awww Fiona, what a rotten time of it you're having lately with your buns :cry: :cry: So sorry to hear you nearly lost Marcy - what a shock for you :cry: Sending lots of vibes for her and hugs to you. Vicki x

I don't think you should feel stupid at all - you come across as someone who loves their buns very much, does the best for them, and is having a tough time at the moment with all of them :(

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but you can only do what you feel is best at the time - I'm glad she's pulled through and hope she is home and recovering soon :D

Oh Fiona
Sorry to hear of your experiences with your buns again. You really are having a hard time of it, I can't believe you keep having to deal with all these things. You love your buns so much and you do your best for them. I wish you all well, and hope you have trouble free times very soon.

xx

Thanks everyone. Marcy is home with me and her mum and dad now.

I spoke to the vet at length who is not feeling all that optimistic for her. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Her little tummy is still very hard and distended. He tried to pass a stomach tube during the GA to dispel the gas but it didn't go all that well. She did have regrowth of her spurs :( :( which are now burred.

I am going to give her very gentle tummy rubs and some Infacol. She is on water and syinge feeding every 2 hours though she is very frail. I will bring her in overnight though she is back in her house and I am fetching her every 2 hours. She just ate 1 blade of grass, literally 1 blade. She is fighting hard but I fear her tummy is going to get the better of her.

If all is ok, she is going back to see the vet for more fluids tomorrow.

I have got all the pain relief and gut stimulants here for her thank goodness.

My Marcy needs mega vibes, I am worried about my little bunster.

Any extra advice would be much appreciated.

Fiona x

So Sorry Fiona. :cry: I can't add anything constructive really but am thinking of you. You are doing all you can. Healing vibes.....

Hi when I was syringe feeding pistachio, my vet recommended pineapple juice, its sweet so they like it and apparently is good for guts. Also try baby food, its sweeter, pistachio got quite a taste for apple and pear pudding! Lots of vibes, and will be thinking of you tonight x Jess

Thinking of you

I do hope things go well for you both. It sounds like you are doing all you can.

Will keep fingers and toes crossed. :love:

Marcy isn't much better this morning. She hasn't eaten at all overnight other than what she has been syringe fed. She is having painkillers but still looks sore.

She got more sub-cut fluids and the full range of mediccations this morning and vet says her tummy is much softer which is a good sign,

Just got to concentrate on getting as much as fibre as possible in to her.

Here is photograph of her in the summer. She is playing with the washing basket, so ignore the £4 label :lol: Its on the washing basket!!

Gorgeousbunnies032.jpg

She is the teeniest Dutch bunny I have come across, much smaller and lighter than my others. Vet says she reminds him of a toy bunny!! :love:

Fiona x

Back