• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help very sick bunny!

stu

New Kit
hi
I had my rabbit [a one year old lop] neutered on monday. he was not eating or drinking so we went to the vet. pain killer given and fluid injection adviced to syringe feed science food 1ml every 2hours, and to go back the next day. next day still poorly not weed or pooed since op 48hrs ago. kept in and bladder drined uti diagnosed now home on painkillers and antibiotics . still not eating drinking pooing or weing. please help he is so drowsy im not sure if he is going to get through the night

Really he needs to be in the vets being syringe fed by them unless you are able to stay up all night and he should be on a constant drip - he hasn't eaten properly for too long and will be dehyrated as well. Is he taking the syringed food?

Was he starved pre-op as that could have made his recovery worse?

Caz

Sorry to hear your bun is so poorly, I think I'd ring the vets for advice if it were me

Fingers crossed he pulls through, poor little man, please let us know how he does

Hi I had to syringe feed one of mine a couple of weeks back. Apple and pear baby food goes in a syringe well, and I was also giving her pineapple juice as my vet said this can help to get the guuts moving. Push it in slowly and make sure the syringe is horizontal, give him a chance to eat it before giving a bit more. Sounds like he should be at the vets tho. Syringe feed a couple of ml every couple of hours, also once you have fed him, gently massage his tum, this will help to pass any hard poos that have formed. It is tiring, i syringe fed mine for 48 hrs but had been worth it. Wish I was closer, I would offer to help you. Please keep us updated, good luck, sending vibes for you x Jess

thanks for all your messages. can anyone tell me if it is ok to massage postop and with uti. bladder infection. bladder was drained today so im not sure if he is going to be to sore. will it hinder or help.

Stu..you really need to get him to an emergencey vet. Syringe feeding him if he's drowsy is dangerous ..you could choke him.

Please don't wait til the morning it could be too late.

thanks, we're aware of choking, but he came back from the vets drowsy (was there most of the day having bladder emptied, antibiotics). Yesterday we tried tempting him with pineapple juice, baby food(s), carrot tops, grass, apple, cabbage, banana, celery, dandelion, different rabbit foods, rabbit treats etc and syringe-fed a little of the green science feed and brought the water bottle to him and he drank, and he played with straw and was generally a lot healthier looking than today, post vet.

Were ringing the overnight vet now, but I'm not sure I want to inflict trauma on him further if it's a case of the science food and tummy rub, or just peace from a stressful day or ...

How long before the opiate drug wars off? If 6-8 hours then should he look brighter eyed now, or sometime overnight?

Basically my point is that he is in the same condition as he left the vets so what can the overnight vet do that we can't?

yes - yesterday and today (metoclopramide)

the overnight vet has offered more of it, and said they can syringe feed him, but we prefer to do it here in a less stressful environment... not sure if the dappiness is long wearing effects of the drug or whether he is beginning to wilt from 3 days of infection, operations, starving etc...

so was it today that he had his bladder drained :?: Did he have another GA for this :?: what time did he have this done do you know :?:

sorry for all the questions :oops: :oops: keep him warm, do you have a snuggle safe :wink:

I know when my Marcel had a GA he mainly slept for around 6 hours after I got him home, food did not interest him but herbs did, all he wanted was to be held to suck my body heat and comfort while he slept

thanks for all the replies and help

Yes - neutered on monday (wtih GA). Vet said he ate after waking at about 3pm.
Yesterday we tried lots of food, took him back to vet for gut stimulant and check. Got science feed, tried to syringe but he was still feisty. Drank water, ate tiny bits occasionally, played (and ate a very little) straw, grass

This morning, seemed OK, just refusing to eat and still no wee/poo. Took him back to vet, different locum vet found a full bladder. She drained it, found infection, gave antibiotics, he weed. They said he found the whole experience very stressful.

Came home dappy at about 6pm, has barely moved. It was easy to syringe feed him at 8:30, were about to do it again - keeping in mind not to choke him.
be back in 5 mins...

Have no advice to give, but hope he feels better soon. Sounds like he's in good hands.

so no GA with the bladder drain then :? is he sitting hunched up and grinding his teeth :?: if so, it means that he is in pain and may need pain relief :wink:

try to give him some water too so he does not get dehydrated :wink:

stress can bring on gut statis as you know so you may end up taking him back to the vets anyway :? check his ears, do they feel cold or clammy hot :?:

Hope your OK, it is so stressful and worrying when things happen :( sounds like you are doing everything you possibly can

no ga today, he's nice and warm in the spare bedroom.

Just had 4 mls of science feed - are we meant to be giving him 10 every 2 hours? He's a 11month mini lop

not in pain - almost asleep but with his eyes open - doped!

given him a tummy rub - is there anythingwe should be feeling for? This is our first rabbit and we don't relly have anything to compare it to...

i'm reluctant to give me 10mls every 2 hours overnight if he can't wee... don't want to force him to be in pain but don't want the stasis to start!

Hope he gets better soon.

The amount they need syringe fed always astounds me to be honest. I just go for as much as I can at any one time and as regularly as you can manage.

My experience has always been that fluids do help them feel better though.

Hope he's on the 'up' again tomorrow for you all. I would get pain relief, gut stimulant and sub-cut fluids at the vet tomorrow. Maybe the vet could show you how to do injectable pain relief at home to help if he is still poorly. The fluids should definitely perk him up and the pain relief would hopefully stop it from feeling sore.

Fiona x

Back