• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Running free..

JellyBelly

Mama Doe
Any tips on how to catch my rabbit when he's loose? He has a run but i like to see him running free (except when i'm trying to catch him). The garden is bunny safe. Any ideas?!

Errr well i have no idea but run fast :lol:

We have spent many an evening trying to catch them too :roll:

Tracey x

yep I have that problem too, strats off fun and the rabbits seem to really enjoy making me look silly :shock: but after 20 minutes when I'm running late for work and have impailed myself of twigs a few times i tend to start getting stroppy with them :twisted: I try to corner them if i can sometimes i use big bags of hay to help as they don't seem to work out that they can jump over them :lol: I've also tried the throw the big towel over them one but I'm not usually quick enough :lol:

actually its usually just twinkle and Splodge I have this problem with, the others are pretty good and after 1 or 2 laps of the garden go home by themselves! :D

I found the best way to to make their run super fun and then lift it up when they go to inspect it. Mine all got trained, they would just run over to their run (I'd put their fav treat in it) and they'd run in when I lifted it up. Having trouble with my new baby though, he ain't having any of it lol.

If you feed your rabbits at night then they will throw themselves into bed in anticipation 8) Making a rule of never messing with them after they go in makes a big difference too. I make a point of health checking and handling before they are let out so they are positive about going back in.

Some of them throw themselves in so enthusiasticly at night that I trip over them :roll: They wait by the gates and then dash to the hutches ahead of me :D

Food is the key for my bun Audrey...when I want her to go to bed i just rattle her food bowl and she comes running madly over :lol:

Thanks guys. I have tried various tricks but it does take a while. Especially when he runs under the giant shrub in the corner where he knows i can't reach. Then he lies down with a smug look whilst i scrabble in the mud trying to reach him!

yep mine do that, poke up the bum with a broom always gets them moving again :twisted:

Mine enjoy a really small handful of mixed dried fruit from P@H and if I need to persuade them out from under the hutch in the shed :roll: a shake of the box never fails :lol:

I have also done a lot of redesigning in an effort to ensure I can't lose the buns! The giants are generally pretty easy, on a good day will come when whistled for and on a bad day can be grabbed easily enough (unless they get behind the arum lillies and then I have to chop half the leaves off to get them. The little ones are MUCH harder! Especially when they decide to jump a three foot barricade to get behind the shed and then get wedged there for an hour with absolutely no way we could reach them!! :lol:

get another person (or something large that they're wary of) and "herd" them! wave your arms like a loony and herd them towards the door/run/shoebox where you want them to be.

FOOD

my 2 will happily go anywhere with the promise of a meal, in the morning they will jump into the run for pellets and at night after they have had a play in the garden they go straight into the hutch when they see me with their veggies

doorkeeper said:
If you feed your rabbits at night then they will throw themselves into bed in anticipation 8) Making a rule of never messing with them after they go in makes a big difference too. I make a point of health checking and handling before they are let out so they are positive about going back in.

Some of them throw themselves in so enthusiasticly at night that I trip over them :roll: They wait by the gates and then dash to the hutches ahead of me :D

Totally agree!
If im 10 minutes late my two are already in and waiting for their dinner!
I don't feed them dry food during the day (which is their weakness) just veggies when I let them out and they graze the lawn all day. So come bedtime they are raring to get in and munch their dry food treat! I also don't fuss them at bedtime...

leanne said:
doorkeeper said:

Totally agree!
If im 10 minutes late my two are already in and waiting for their dinner!
I don't feed them dry food during the day (which is their weakness) just veggies when I let them out and they graze the lawn all day. So come bedtime they are raring to get in and munch their dry food treat! I also don't fuss them at bedtime...

Another vote for feed them at night. My bund were outdoor buns before cookie passed on and they would get so excieted when they saw me with a bag of pellets that they were fighting with each other as to who could get to bed the quickest :lol:

I am having more problems now that the buns live inside as I like to let them out for free time as often as possible. Twix is a darling and sits still and allows me to bring her in. Biscuit on the other hand is a nighmare and we can play "chase the bunny" or "goad the human slave" around and around and around my boys big climbing frame, adventure plaything in the garden. it is one of those ones with hidey holes and tunnels underneath :roll:

Back