• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to make hutch warmer...?

peediepixie

Mama Doe
My 2 buns live in a 5ft hutch with double walls and insulation in the cavity and a felt roof, they are bedded on woodshavings (soon to be changes to shredded paper), straw and hay.One of my buns got a respiratory infection which my vet thought was partly to do with the cold. The hutch only has a large 'mouse hole' for the buns to go in and out through, no other holes or openings (the roof/lid opens for cleaning).
I have just bought a snugglesafe. I am thinking about how to make the hutch warmer and am thinking to put a cardboard box stuffed with hay in where they usually sit (the bit right inside the door, they use the bit meant to be the bedroom as the toilet :roll: :lol: ). If I put the box in that should shield them from the wind and if I stuff it with hay and the snuggle safe at night do you think that would be enough? They are in a run in the garage at the moment but it'd be better if I could get them back outside if possible... any thoughts??

carboard box would be a good idea as card board is extremly warm, In holly's hutch she has a bale of straw that she has broken up over the days to make a snuggly burrow with.

I put a card board box in Parsnips sleeping area, and between the hutch and the cardboard I stuffed bubble wrap where he couldn't reach it and straw where he could to give it a layer of insulation. I turned the box on its side so it had a bottom back and roof and put the opening in line with the existing door hole. ( hope that makes sense)

I went through a few weeks of extreme cleaning on Berts hutch to try to kill off mites and because i was worried he would get damp i lined the whole hutch with cardboard. It took ages to cut and fit but it helpled withe damp and the cold :lol:

Back