• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baz wont eat hay! U/D sucess

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
he just wont!!! :evil:

he has had THREE differant types of hay AND some supa excel forage but he just wont eat it! I might havre to get him some hay based pellets to feed him on. unless there is anything else i can do, i tried the hay they fed him on at the bunnh haven but he turned his nose up at it :roll:

Naughty baz! :no:

Vincent and Harley weren't fans of hay either, but both of them would eat dried grass, so you could try him with that?

The other thing you can do is sprinkle some dried herbs (just the cheap mixed herbs from the supermarket) over his hay to make it smell more appealing to him :love: Very finely chopped fresh herbs mixed in the hay do the trick too sometimes too ;) You might need to try a few things until you find something that will work :D

Are you feeding a lot of pellets?

I have 2 fatties here at present & they were not eating their hay at first, but their pellets have now been reduced to the bare minimum, so now they have no choice!! :lol:

cavysrock said:
he gets 1 and a half handfulls of pellets

Is he over 6 months old? You could maybe reduce that a bit :D If he STILL doesn't eat his hay then, you might want to increase it back up cos you don't wanna starve him :lol: My buns all get a handful each apart from the 5 on a diet :lol: (4 are fat fosters, & one is STILL not losing weight :? )

How old is Baz again? (sorry, you did tell me already but my memory is like a sieve :oops: ). If he's an adult bun then you could definitely try cutting back on his pellets :D

Did the vet check his teeth when they looked at his weepy eye btw? Are they OK? :D

EDIT: Oops, posted at the same time as Angie there!

his teehth were fine, they said it was his fur that was irratating his eyes so they trimmed it down, he is two years old

Yay, that's great news about his teeth! :D When you said he had a weepy eye I was really worried that he might have dental probs - Vincent had terrible cheek teeth spurs and it was such a battle to get him to eat hay and keep his teeth worn down :(

As Baz is 2, I'll definitely try cutting back the pellets a bit and tempting him with hay :D

Baz tends to head but your ankles and arms until you feed him :roll: he loves pushing stuff out of the way with his head and ploughing through all his bedding :lol:
i'll try cutting back the pellets and adding herbs etc if all else fails looks like I will be getting hay absed pellets

Maybe try hay based pellets as well as the other things? Also, def cut down his pellets, Mine only get about 20 a day!! XX

I ordered a sample pack from the hay experts. you get a handful of about 9 or 10 different hays. Its great coz I am seeing which ones they really like before I order them a bag! x

Baz ate hay :shock: :shock: :shock:
i chopped some fresh herbs up and mixed it in a bowl with some meadow hay and excel foarge and it is all gone! I also reduced his pellets aswell!!
ThNAK YOU so much everybodyy!!!

Back