• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hugs for Gem and bunny number five with myxi

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
:( such a terrible text to get..i wish theres something i can do.i will be seeing petra with bif n bertie this evening..and ill see if shes heard of anything like this..a myxi outbreak amongst vaccinated buns..its horrific..one bun is horrfic..but imagine bunny number 5 :(
Oh Gem i wish it was something else but i guess by now its obvious..

so sad at the moment all these buns on here with so much illness and death..and nothing that can be done..except send healing vibes and nosey rubs to bunsters..and HUGE (((HUGS))) to all the distraught bunny parents..

Gem you got my number..and my email..you know where i am if you need me.XXX

poor Gem!! I have heard of a few cases of this with vacianated buns, it's very scarey.
please tell Gem though that i have also heard of some wonderful stories of bunnies getting through this. if she needs any advice please tell her to give me her email and i can pass i on to those people who may be able to help.
i am running an article in the next issue of bunny mad so if any one knows of any good websites or info please pm me,
hugs to Gem

OMG how awful and how upsetting for Gem. :cry: I don't know anything about the scientfic aspect of myxi - is there different strains and does the vaccine only protect against one :? (e.g. I know my flu jab only protected against the 3 types of flu that they thought were most likely to be prevalent this year) Could a myxi version of the superbug be materialising :shock:

So sorry to hear this :cry:

The Myxi Vaccine is actually made from inactivated Shorpe Fibroma Virus and was found to produce a similar immune response as occurs with many strains of Myxi. But like all viruses Myxi will mutate and it is inevitable that one day the present Vaccine will be ineffective..... :cry:

Also, it is so very important that the Vaccine is stored correctly, mixed correctly and administered correctly. For it to be effective it relies on a good immune response from each Rabbit. For various reasons this just does not happen :cry:

Janex

the bunies who had the jab from the other batchbefore christmas are fine..the ones who had the batch from where first bunnyhad it have died.. :(

poor gem..
why do they not worry about storage etc as much as cat n dog ones? its awful..i remeber when woozle had his myxi booster..within 3 days he was d ead..parylsed back legs..couldnt breathe.and the vet sent him home with an antinflammatroy jab and painkilers..never even listened to his chest..he had seizure and died..he was wheezy etc.
the vet was at the pdsa and i have taken buns to private vets since even tho i cannot afford to..but as bif has proved thats no guarantee for rabbit care either!! Luckily we have petra now..and she was at the pdsa..shame she wasnt there when woozle went.. :(

i hope Gems vet is looking into this..i mean have other bun owners just found dead rabbits? or not noticed buns were ill as they were in hutches during bad weather?

thats a very good point jane about administration ect, anything else you might like to add that i can maybe use in my article.
a friend of mine had hers vaccainated and said that as it was injected there was a little puddle of liquid on the table, she is now worried that the bunny hasn't been done right! i told her she should never be afraid to confront the vet and she should take this further.

bunny mad lisa said:
thats a very good point jane about administration ect, anything else you might like to add that i can maybe use in my article.
a friend of mine had hers vaccainated and said that as it was injected there was a little puddle of liquid on the table, she is now worried that the bunny hasn't been done right! i told her she should never be afraid to confront the vet and she should take this further.

Here is the Nobivac (Myxi Vacc) data sheet. It clearly states how the vaccine is best administered. Shame some Vets dont read it....

http://www.intervet.co.uk/Products_Public/Nobivac_Myxo/090_Product_Datasheet.asp

Janex

gem hun sorry not txt back phone playing up..is your pc fixed now so i can email you?
what has happened to bunny number five now?

is it myxi?

Back