• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Alfie - not good - Now wheezing....

Miloe's_Mum

Alpha Buck
I managed to see the partner at the vets last night, which was great, as he knew exactly what he was talking about :)

He felt Alfie's tummy and said he could only feel a few solid poos, the rest was sludgy :(

He has bites and scars (from other animals) all over his body and ears, the lumps i can feel is the scar tissue.

He has spurrs starting on his back teeth, which is possibly causing problems to his left eye, he also thinks he is going blind in this eye :cry: :cry: :cry:

He is booked in on Friday, they are going to put him under and file off his spurrs, flush his tear ducts out and just have a good look over him.

Is it wise to ask the vets to remove his back teeth? or cant this be done? Sorry, i have never had any experience with teeth problems or eye problems, and any advice would be great.

Thank you

Ruth, and a very ill Alfie :(

Awwwww my Zippy is have her back teeth done on friday too :D

I think back teeth are more complecated to remove because of the blood vessels so nit sure if it's a good idea, some people on here may have had a positive experiance with back teeth removal though. It may be a good idea to get an x ray to make sure everything is ok. If it is there is no reason to say that the teeth will wont remain ok on a good hay diet. My Zippy is missing loads so she has to have a denatl every eight weeks.

Oh so you were right to take him back... Didn't they say he was fine apart from being a little shy ?
Thank god you knew he wasn't right ...
I hope hes okay for you..
I'm not sure about removing back teeth, my bun is going to have trouble with his teeth through out his life and I was wondering the same thing ....
karen

Awwww poor Alfie

Dental problems a very common in a Bun who has had a poor diet. From what you said in a previous thread Alfie was fed Pasta and chocolate wasnt he :shock:
Removal of the molars is only done in very advanced cases of Dental disease as more often than not they have to be extracted throgh the side of the face, a MAJOR op'.

I would ask your Vet to x-ray Alfies skull as this will show if the roots of the teeth are overgrown. This can cause the runny eye problem as the roots press on and block the nasolacrimal ducts. If Alfie's roots are OK then a good hay based diet and outdoor grazing when possible will ensure his teeth wear down well.
If, however, the roots are not too good he will still need a hay based diet but may also require ongoing Dentals to burr off the sharp spurs that can form on the molar teeth when they dont meet up properly.

I am sure once Alfie has had his sharp teeth sorted out and is established on a good diet he will be fine :D

Janex

Yes, i told the partner last night what the vet the previous night had said - he couldnt believe it! Not shy but more likely in pain!

I'll have a word with the vets on Friday about getting him x-rayed - thanks for all your advice

Ruth x

Hi Ruth

Cant offer advice (not an expert on teeth unfort) but sure lots of people on here have the experience to give you lots of helpful advice :D

Just wanted to say we're glad you managed to get someone at your vets to take you seriously and that you pushed for another opinion well done ou Alfie will thank you for that once friday is over with :D

thumperlop said:
Hi Ruth

Cant offer advice (not an expert on teeth unfort) but sure lots of people on here have the experience to give you lots of helpful advice :D

Just wanted to say we're glad you managed to get someone at your vets to take you seriously and that you pushed for another opinion well done ou Alfie will thank you for that once friday is over with :D

Thank you :) even if i had known of the problems Alfie had, i would have still taken him. He's such a sweet boy :love:

I hate to think what state all the other bunnies teeth are in :cry: :cry:

Alfie now is wheezing when he breathes, when he breathes from his nose alot of fluid comes out with it as well (like snot sorry!)

He also seems in pain more now, he hasnt moved from his house since yesterday morning, and is quite hunched up. I dont know what to do? :cry:

He's at the vets first thing, but they have already warned me he might not come round from the anaesthetic :cry: :cry:

Please send vibes to poor Alfie, he's had such a horrid life

Oh no poor Alfie :cry:, can you hear him grinding his teeth at all ?
Vibes for Alfie you get through this little man ....
(((((((((Alfie))))))))))))))

karen354 said:
Oh no poor Alfie :cry:, can you hear him grinding his teeth at all ?
Vibes for Alfie you get through this little man ....
(((((((((Alfie))))))))))))))

Yes, he was a little last night. He has been eating his hay and drinking alot too.

He's not a well boy at all. This doesnt sound good at all does it?

When Molly was ill she started grinding her teeth I then knew she was in pain :(
How old is Alfie ? Is he booked in the vets tomorrow or are they going to sort him today ?

They have told me they cant fit him in today - so he's booked in for 7.30am tomorrow morning.

He's between 18 months and 2 years.

I feel dreadful leaving him overnight, but this vet i saw - the partner - was fantastic, and i know he'll do everything he can to help Alfie.

hes in pain with his teeth first and foremost..youd be shocked to see what damage they do..i saw a photo of a bun with lesions under the tongue like my bif had..i was horrified!
His gits sound pretty much like bifs were..and hers was down to severe traumatisation! Sounds like where this bun came from it was anmal hell!
His por diet now a good one will upset his guts no matter what..
as for the whezing and snot..could be a resp problem could be an allergy..could be a multitude of thins.
i really hope he gets on ok..
i like everyone else here whos had buns with dentals will say..once a bun has had one..they will need to have more..
The best thing for tummys to help that sludge shift is bio lapis madeup in an isotonic form and syringed along with recovery slop..but this time round our new vet suggested protexin fibreplex..its a carrot flavoured pastefull of the same stuf as bio lapis but added fibre..shes still doing squishy poos but her normal poos are great and her sludgy tummy is back to normal after all these months..purely because the pain s gone where this vet did both sides of her molars burred the spurs i mean. makes it more even and shes able to chew hay better now than before too.

good luck fingers crossed.

Back