• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny shed improvements

rineyroo

Mama Doe
With the recent heavy rain practically all Winter the buns' shed has been getting pretty wet inside. At this rate I'll have to invest in a new one soon. Anyone know what I could do to stop this water? I'll have to do some improvements when its actually dry I think. Also I was thinking of getting a small solar powered light, does anybody have one?

Hi, have you sealed the windows? We have a solar light in ours, it does not stay on for all that long in winter though, despite having a huge battery (larger than recommended). They are quite easy to install. ht

How good is your roof felting - maybe it needs re-roofing? Or maybe the walls need re-painting with a paint that will repel water?? :?

Is it tongue and groove or the overlapping kind? We have the overlap type, not for the rabbits just as an everyday shed, and that leaks all the time.

Kate x

I use camping lights from Argos which work quite well - our garden is north facing and I don't think it would get enough sun for solar powered to be very effective this time of year

Rushie said:
Is it tongue and groove or the overlapping kind? We have the overlap type, not for the rabbits just as an everyday shed, and that leaks all the time.

Kate x

It's a tongue and groove shed. The window is broken (my dog stood on the plastic before it was put in place) and so that leaks water in, but i've put some sheeting over it. But there's also damp patches in the other corners. I shall have to do some filling in the summer. I shall have a look round for solar lights.

My new shed was like that, so I sealed all the joins with a sealed called Gold Seal. It's for sealing ponds. You dont have to wait for the wood to dry you can just use it. It totaly worked for me. :D
The floor of my shed was getting wet, the water was leaking in a join and dripping on the floor, not now :wink:

Where is the water coming from? Up through the floor? Down from the roof or in through the window?

What did you stand the shed on when you built it?

Tamsin said:
Where is the water coming from? Up through the floor? Down from the roof or in through the window?

What did you stand the shed on when you built it?

There is a bit of water coming in from the window. I've had a look and the roof seems fine. It's on paving slabs.

The floor of mine is always wet. but i think that is due to the daft bunnies running out in the run in the rain then coming back in!!! :lol: :lol: It dries out in the summer, but I was thinking about maybe putting some lino on the floor, like kitchen flooring, coz then i could dry that??? anyone else done this??? x Jess

I've got lino on their shed floor, then paper on top so they don't slip around when they come in after going outside, also gives them something to rip up and they're always knocking their water bowl.

rineyroo said:
Ooh thanks for that Nicole. Where can I get this stuff?

I'm not sure I'll find out for you tomorrow when I get to work, failing that I can always send it to you.
Here is a link for it http://www.koicarp.org.uk/koi_dry_goods_finish.htm scroll down it called gold label pond sealer. In a yellow tube.

It is pricey but I had to use it to stop the water leaking in, it rained for 4-5 weeks solid, so I had to use it.

I'll get back to you. :D

Back