• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bald patch under chin

vick

Alpha Buck
Benny is developing a bald patch under his chin which from reading on here is probably due to dribbling after drinking water from a bowl (he has dental problems).

Is there anything I can put on his skin? It doesn't appear to be inflamed at all, I just wondered if I should put cream on it to act as a barrier so his fur has chance to grow back?? I can't get him to drink from a bottle - that would be the easiest solution. It's impossible to dry him off everytime he's had a drink too but we do our best!

that sounds like moisture dermatitus to me. i dont think there is much you can do other than a drinking bottle (but you say he has dental probs)

this will cause him irritation and a little pain if it progresses

try feeding more moist veg so trips to the water bowl are less frequent?

well you could maybe try buy holding the water bottle to his mouth and if he puts his mouth over squeeze it a bit nad he'll drink-do it for a few days and he'll get the hang of it :D
thats how i trained Zelda :D
i think there is some mourizer for animals......or just put vasaline on to protect it :D

even water bottles dont helpw oth this type of dental prob..it didnt with my poor old kibbles bless her. we haad to clean her chin with an antiseptic and put cream on it..the vet once gave her antibiotic cream for it..and my friends bun had antibiotics orally to clear up the sores.

id use sudocrem for now..as already mentioned..its wonderful on bunnies! till they lick it off!

Thanks everyone!

I have used some cream the vet gave me for when his outer ear was a bit irritated - not sure what it is but it is just like like Sudocrem! Benny has been sulking since we moisturised him half an hour ago and won't even take a treat. We've really upset him this time!

I know I have a pot of Sudocrem somewhere... I will have to find it. I'll get the vet to check him out too to be on the safe side.

x

Back