• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mutual grooming?

Cookie&Twix

Alpha Buck
Should a bonded pair mutually groom each other?? Twix grooms Biscuit, but I never see it the other way around, not matter how much she sits with her head lowered to the floor while he is having a wash. Poor girl really just wants some reciprication!

I noticed that on Monday Hilda :lol: :lol: :lol: .. Bournville was lying down Floss went up to him and pushed her little head under his mouth :lol: he then started grooming her ...

Cookie&Twix said:
Should a bonded pair mutually groom each other?? Twix grooms Biscuit, but I never see it the other way around, not matter how much she sits with her head lowered to the floor while he is having a wash. Poor girl really just wants some reciprication!

Aww :(

My 2 groom each other and they both sometimes ignore the other one when they adopt the "groom me now" position. :lol:

Ruby definitely grooms Bobby more. I've seen here with her head right under his chin, and he just ignores her, poor girl! However, he does groom her when he thinks no one's looking :wink:

Hmmm, maybe I am just blinking and missing it :lol: I am actually presuming that it is because he is a young man who has yet to learn proper bunny ettiquette!! I even tried rubbing a bit of banana on the rather unamused Twix to no avail

Actually, I am sat in the kitchen watching them under my dining room table (puter in the kitchen) and Twix has been grooming Biscuit for a few minutes, then she has adopted the "Groom me now" position and he has completely blanked her :( It really is a shame as she will sit in the hopeful position for 15 to 20 minutes at a time.

Jen always groomed Harley, I rarely saw him groom her, although I think part of that was to do with his sight problem and that he missed the 'groom me!' hints coming from Jen :D

There is a strict grooming hierarchy.

Generally one rabbit is the boss and gets to be groomed whenever they ask, the subordinate bunny does the grooming. Occasionally the boss gives the subordinate a few licks to keep them happy but generally doesn't bother reciprocating.

So when we groom rabbits they are indicating we are beneth them - hence why they let us :wink: :lol: !

Sometimes the partnership is more equal and there is mutual grooming.

Caz

Mine do groom each other but MJ gets groomed more than Pippa - sometimes he sticks his head under her when she's eating so she has no choice except to groom him at the same time :lol: Then she gets a few licks in return

With blue and billy, Blue gets all the grooming. When Billy goes up to him and puts his head down for a groom Blue just runs away, sometimes he stamps his feet as well :roll:

Its funny coz Billy is so much bigger than Blue!

Tracey x

Back